Outdoor dog?

Lots of dogs live outside perfectly fine. Some even prefer it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as they’re being properly taken care of and exercised, trained, etc. which it DOES sound like OP is willing to do considering they’re on here asking questions… And whos to say OP won’t be out there working the dog every day and playing/engaging with it? Just cause someone wants an outside dog doesn’t mean it’s going to be neglected or unloved. Judgemental comments like this do not help anyone. OP is on here trying to get help and these types of things can drive people away. Would you rather they ask zero questions cause they’re put off and just go get any dog without doing the research?
IMO @NatJ's post was honest, informative and not judgemental; they also stated that they may well have told OP something they were already aware of. @hysop said they have outdoor dogs themselves. I don't think anyone is being mean for trying to ensure animal welfare.

IMO @NatJ's post was honest, informative and not judgemental; they also stated that they may well have told OP something they were already aware of. @hysop said they have outdoor dogs themselves. I don't think anyone is being mean for trying to ensure animal welfare.
I think Dawgs reply was actually to a deleted post.

Someone WAS being mean, but the mean post was deleted pretty quickly.

TheDawg quoted & responded to that mean post in the time before it was deleted, but I see the quote is no longer in their post (which is why it now looks like they were responding to the other posts that still remain.) Their points directly address things that were in the mean post.

I think Dawgs reply was actually to a deleted post.

Someone WAS being mean, but the mean post was deleted pretty quickly.

TheDawg quoted & responded to that mean post in the time before it was deleted, but I see the quote is no longer in their post (which is why it now looks like they were responding to the other posts that still remain.) Their points directly address things that were in the mean post.
Yes, exactly. I took the quote out once it was deleted and left the rest but I can see how it would be confusing

Last edited:
Yes, exactly. I was told to take the quote out but leave the rest so I did but I can see how it would be confusing
Would you be allowed to add a line at the top of your post, saying you were responding to a post that has since been deleted? (Although it might be pointless now, since we've got this set of posts discussing it all to death.)

Would you be allowed to add a line at the top of your post, saying you were responding to a post that has since been deleted? (Although it might be pointless now, since we've got this set of posts discussing it all to death.)
I think I probably could as well as maybe removing certain lines? I’ll see if I can. Not sure what the time limit for editing is though ?

Thinking of getting another dog someday but don't want one in the house (hair shedding and such)

Would want an outdoor dog but do they just bark all night?

We have 4 acres and chickens, maybe other animals someday.

Would want one that doesn't bother our other animals and doesn't bark all night?

Do you have to pen them up at night? Kinda useless about intruders if so

How do you keep them warm in the winter?
I have had an outside dog before she currently just moved in actually...its actually depends where you live. I live in iowa so harsh winters we had a st bernard and she is 11 now but they are very gentle and calm. And I fully trust her with my chickens she out there all the time....you could give them a dog kennels with fence around it to lock them at night or you could let them go in your garage for night. I let ares in the garage and they did awesome. The only time I let her in is when it was below zero or 95 degrees so it just depends but it is awesome to have. They will not bark that often once they get used to there surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom