Outdoor nesting boxes, pics..

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
I Was sitting outside sipping my coffee this morning thinking I'd like to make some outdoor nesting boxes for the hens since the coop is getting a little tight for the 38 chickens, I had some wood leftover from other projects so I decided to go for it.. I got the blueprints all figured out in my head and went for it. With help from my son we started at 10 this morning, at 1:30 this is what we had done.
46124_nesting_boxes_014.jpg

The chickens were very interested! Then I realized they might need a step to get up into it, 15 minutes later they were made, It's now complete...
46124_nesting_boxes_016.jpg
All I need to do now is paint it.. Hope they use it..
big_smile.png

Last edited:
That's neat! the only thing I can think is maybe adding a little more of a lip to the roof in case of rain. However... I thought chickens only really liked to nest in dark secluded areas? I've never found eggs outside. It looks nice though, I bet it will look spectacular painted!

Ms.Frizzle :

That's neat! the only thing I can think is maybe adding a little more of a lip to the roof in case of rain. However... I thought chickens only really liked to nest in dark secluded areas? I've never found eggs outside. It looks nice though, I bet it will look spectacular painted!

That's what I'm thinking, I won't take nest boxes out of the coop yet, we'll see what happens, keeping fingers crossed.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom