Outdoor time?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Quella, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Quella

Quella Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    My two chicks are two weeks and two days old. We're up in Washington, so compared to other standards I guess it might be considered cold, but it's often not windy during the past week and sunny. How long can they be outside before bringing them back in? They're getting really rowdy in the brooder . . soo . . .

2. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    I'm sure others know much more about this than I do but... I live in Maine and had mine out this weekend pecking around (they are also 2 weeks old). They *loved* it!! I kept them out until they scurried over and started to fall asleep on my legs-- it was probably 20-30 minutes. Don't forget it they go outside they'll need chick-grit because they definitely peck grass and bugs -- mine had a field day with a worm!!

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Wherever you live it's observation not a set period of time. If they huddle pile and quit after being active then it's time to go in. I've gotten mine out as early as a week but you need to be available to watch them. Once mine tire and start piling up or the majority of them begin to fall asleep then I move them back to the brooder. They tell you pretty clearly. And it is SOOO much quieter once they've had time outdoors.

Initially in fear of the changes they may huddle but they should soon spread out and become active if it's not just flat too cold. Delawares don't know how to be afraid. I may strangle these.

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree...it's all observation. If they are peeping loudly, or trying to huddle together or pile up, they are cold and need to go back to the brooder. IF they are running around exploring and pecking at the ground, they are happy and can stay out until you're ready to take them in. Then they'll lay down and take a nap after all the excitement [​IMG]

5. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    yes agreed, they really are content after a little adventure out! And it was really obvious when they were done. I stayed right by mine outside and loved how they followed me around --just like a mama hen. [​IMG]

6. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I am in Wa too and my 8 week old seramas went outside for the first time today.

7. Quella

Quella Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Thanks! On chick grit though, I'm sending them into the Forest of Weeds, a.k.a. the neglected garden, and there's a lot of tiny stones in there that are about the same size as sand. Will they naturally use those as grit?
    The chicks being tired will be a new thing! [​IMG]
    It's pretty amazing how your chicks follow you around, kelly. I think mine are afraid of me!

8. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:That will be fine.

9. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    I live in northern WV. I made a small pen for my RIRs.
    [​IMG]
    The first day that it was almost 60 and sunny I took them out. They were a little scared at first, but they LOVED it once I dumped them out of the box. lol

I stayed with them, and made sure they didn't "Act cold".
    I had them out for about 1/2 an hour, and I had a hard time rounding them up. They didn't want to go back in. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  10. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    that's perfect. The pen will let them have recess and you can watch then without worring about them wondering off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by