Outside Duck Space

dennin7418

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 15, 2012
Sterling, MA
So i got the duck house built and am laying out the fencing. I'm hoping to pretty much build it big enough that they will be safe all the time. I'm sure on weekends I'll let them out so long as I am home to monitor.

Question is...what type of land is best? I'm assuming grass, but I dont want to take up all of my lawn for the ducks. Can I expand the area into the brush or will twigs/prickers hurt them? i'd be able to clear away most of the brush but its still not nice soft grass...

Thoughts?

I don't pen my ducks BUT i do have one for the younger ones.. grass will not stay that way for very long.. it becomes mud. All my mature birds free range they seem to like it all, pavement, gravel(our driveway is a mix of both.. old farm drive but paved up at the house) and then we have grass(well.. it's not planted but looks like grass lol) and then there are more wooded, treed areas.. they are quite fond of being under the huge cedar trees.. so i guess after all that I think ducks like a blend.. they enjoy foraging through grass but trees & wood-like ground areas provide bugs and so forth too..

Last edited:
from what i hear a sand base is the best and easiest for ducks. i have them on gras or what was grass. they love to dig and mud up the place. i only have three so its pretty easy to throw down some sand dirt mix if there pen gets to wet. I would clear the brush before you use that space. I pulled a a thorn out of my mallards foot about a month ago, he decided to chase a grass hoper into the brush.

Back
Top Bottom