1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

outside play time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by love4mychick, Apr 18, 2009.

1. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    ok as most of you know [​IMG] i have 12 2 week old baby long horn chicks
    and i really want them to go outside and play around but do to the fact that they are only 2weeks old i dont know if it is to early for them to go outside

please answer me back

2. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I took mine outside this past week, they were 2 weeks old. I set up a temp fence. I used some hardware cloth and made a big circle and put them in. I put up a cardboard box on one end for some shade just in case and that is where most of them hung out as it did get pretty warm out. At first my chicks just sat froze for about 5 mins, didn't move even a little bit. Then all of a sudden they started pecking and it was over from there. They had a ball. I thought if it was bad for them I would of found a couple dead by the next morning, but all were fine. I will be taking mine out again today because it is so nice out.

3. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    sorry i missed read the post thank you put it get down at 60 degresse at night is that to cold

i also have a hores stall that i am makeing into a coop can they stay out there durring the day or should i just keep them in the bath tube ????

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  4. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    I too am a newbie at raising chicks - mine are now 6 and 7 weeks old. I started taking mine out at about 2 1/2 weeks when it was sunny and the outside temp got around 60-65. I placed them in a temp dog wire cage, on the ground, with a plastic box on its side. They loved being outside and only ran into the box when a loud noise was heard. I placed food and water in the temp pen and threw some chick (not the larger chicken) grit on the ground and they started scratching at it. I had read in a BYC post that if chickens were exposed to slightly cooler temps for short periods, they would develop feathers faster. Don't know if this is true, but it seems to have worked for mine. If they start to spend most of their time in the box, it's either too cold or too hot. You won't believe how fast they grow from 2 to 6 weeks of age! Have fun and use your instincts!

Gail

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine were outside at 2 1/2 weeks old on sunny, windless days in April. I didn't confine them in a pen, but I did watch them constantly. If/when they start huddling (not the initial I'm scared! huddle) and peeping loudly, they're telling you they are ready to go back inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by