Outside Run "Ceiling"

I've used green snow fence from Menards and it has been four years since I've had it. Works great but the snow will collect on top of it and it will give alot but never breaks.

I've got a pic of my runs somewhere in this forum under the Royal Outdoor shed forum.

Some people do use cat food for protein. I feel a bit uneasy about using any meat products. You can also use black oil sunflower seeds, scrambled eggs, and cottage cheese (rinse the milk off if not dry) for extra protein. Make sure they have plenty of grit and oystershell for calcium. Try putting in some things to keep them busy until you get the run finished, such as--hanging cabbage heads, piles of leaves to dig through, bales of straw, bird seed in a plastic container with holes in it (haven't tried that last one but it sounds good). Oh, and a few roosts in the run to get away from each other.

Yes... toys... someone told me pie tins, as they like shiny things, and pinwheels, something to pick at besides each other. They do have a roost out there but they hardly are ever on it. For now, I put they metal garbage can lid out there, it's kinda shiny and I've seen them looking at themselves in it. Some also told me Avian 2000 in their water, so I have ordered that too. Thanks again for everyone's advice, especially the people that live local and know what the weather is like here!

Yes... I'm off to the store this minute to get shiny things...
big_smile.png

thanks....

I put a mirror in my coop to entertain my hens when they were still teen-aged chicks. They liked to stand and stare at it. Sometimes they would pick at their reflection.

Quote:
Meat is a natural food for chickens (bugs mostly). The problem with any cat/kitten food is salt. Salt is not good for chickens and the other ideas chookchick listed are better for this reason.

Quote:
Moving them could have upset the pecking order too. But, your right if they are drawing blood something needs to be done.

I have a solid metal roof on my run. We put it on a slight slant so the rain and snow would run/slide off. Come late fall I wrap my run with plastic or canvas. It keeps the rain and snow out and the run stays dry. Even now they have loose dirt in the run that they love to dust bath in. Wrapping the run also keeps the wind out so even on days when the windchill is what makes it cold they are out enjoying themselves instead of cooped up in the coop. Could this be something you could implement now to help. Maybe it's this really cold winter keeping them in the coop and thus getting on each other nerves.

I just put out a 10x20 chain link fence out for my three RIR's. Right beside that area there are cane poles growing. I just cut the limbs off and space them close together and drill a small hole into each end and zip them to the top of the fence. It should provide a little shade too as it is hot in the south during the summer. If I need a replacement there are more as they pop up literally overnight and even appear to be growing in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom