Outside Run "Ceiling"

Val3rie

Songster
11 Years
Jan 28, 2009
Long Island NY
Hello- I'm new here... I recently became the owner of 8 rescued chickens, and they are pecking the "you know what" out of each other, I'm going to make their outside run bigger, and I'm hoping that will solve this pecking/cannabalism problem. I need to know what I can use for the "ceiling". Some kind of strong but lightweight netting I'm thinking. For a fairly large area, but I want it to keep the hens in and the predators from above out. Any ideas on what I can use and where I can get it? I've been living on this website, it's the BEST!
Thanks!!
~Valerie

You can get the bird netting, used to keep birds off fruit trees. Is pretty cheep and I think I saw people on her use it. We cover 1 of ours with chicken wire, the other has a wood roof coving the run because there is no shade in that area. I am in the process of making 5 smaller breeding pens and think I will cover the run area with the bird netting this time.

Edited to say
big_smile.png
Welcome to BYC

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!!
yippiechickie.gif

You don't mention how big your run is. You should have at least 10 square feet per chicken in the run and 4 square feet per chicken in the coop. Anything smaller will cause the "picking" problem.

However, - were your chickens together before you got them? If not, this may be "normal" pecking order action. If so, it will take care of itself soon (assuming that the space above is met).

Bird Netting is a plastic netting used to cover fruit trees and berries. It has relatively small holes and will last for several years (more in moderate climates, less in extreme).

Good Luck!!

Cindy

Thanks Cindy, Right now I know the outside pen is too small. It's going to be about 16' x 30'. it's 8 chickens and they were together before they came to me, and they were slightly picked, but now it's serious. A bloodbath. I've been pulling out to nurse, and constantly spraying with hot pick, and using anti pick lotion, and blue kote. It's so darn cold out I was going to wait til spring to increase then pen size but I'm going to have to bite the bullet bundle up and make it happen NOW. I'm desperate, I really love these chickens, but they're giving me a heart ache! I read somewhere feeding kitten food with 40% protein will stop it, but I dont believe everything I read on the web unless I see it posted EVERYWHERE!

The bird netting will not hold in our new england winters. I have been ther already. If you want netting you should try the heavyweright fishing netting with a heavy load weight. That is what I am going to try for next winter. Deer and bird netting breaks and sinks and stretches when we get snow and worked horribly. Only good where so is light or non existent! Unfortunately the heavyweight stuff is not cheap! ErinM

I agree that in our region chicken wire or bird netting will not hold up well to our snow loads. You would be better off with a solid roof of some kind over the run. Wooden, metal, or plastic panels. This will also reduce the amount of mud you have in the spring when everything thaws and it rains.

Back
Top Bottom