How many hens are good in here?

I went ahead and looked up the specs myself directly on the tractor supply website. The coop states it is 4.4 sq ft to be exact. NOT 20:
View attachment 3763588

I stand by everything I wrote above.
It's a waste of money. The OP good do so much better by converting a used shed.
Thanks for the correction :) I agree; a solid shed is a better deal, especially given the local predator list.

I went ahead and looked up the specs myself directly on the tractor supply website. The coop states it is 4.4 sq ft to be exact. NOT 20:
View attachment 3763588
There is at least one error in their measurements.

They say 4.4 square feet of coop
They say the run is 52.7 inches wide
The coop is the same width as the run (visible in all photos)
The only way to have a coop that is 52.7 inches wide and contains 4.4 square feet is if that coop is 1 foot long. Looking at the photos, the coop is roughly square.

So either their run width measurement is wrong, or their coop square footage measurement is wrong.

I measured the base of the hen house when I looked at it in person. It's about 4' x 5', not sure where the given number is from.
I think Tractor Supply has the coop square feet listed wrong.

I stand by everything I wrote above.
It's a waste of money. The OP good do so much better by converting a used shed.
It might be a waste of money, and OP might do better to do something else.

But I would trust OP's own measurements before I would trust the Tractor Supply measurements that are not even consistent with each other. If OP measured correctly, the coop DOES have enough space for 3 hens according to the most common rule-of-thumb guidelines.

I went back to the TSC today, and measured the henhouse. It's 44" x 50", so a little more than 15 sqft. Smaller than I thought, but definitely not 4.4 sqft small. Run is roughly 36 sqft. The wood seemed to be of average quality, looked to be about 1/2" or 5/8" thick. The wire is good strong hardware cloth, looks to be attached fairly securely. I'm not sure how it would fair in a New England winter, so I may want to do some insulation work.

Based on what I saw, it seems like a sturdy coop, so I don't think that's going to be a huge concern. The big issue is whether there's enough space for 3 hens, even with more accurate measurements. That would, following the guidelines I keep seeing of 4sqft in the coop and 10 in the run, be a sufficient bare minimum, but I want to make sure that they would have enough room to roam and be happy. Would it be good to put some branches/cinder blocks in the run so they have a more entertaining and interactive environment? Thanks!

Would it be good to put some branches/cinder blocks in the run so they have a more entertaining and interactive environment?
Yes, that would probably help.

Chickens also enjoy having something to scratch in, preferably a variety of things. That is easy to manage by putting in wood chips if you have a good source, weeds and/or grass clippings in the summer, dry leaves in the fall, anything compostable from your kitchen all year long, and so forth. You want it to stay relatively dry so it doesn't get stinky.

The big issue is whether there's enough space for 3 hens, even with more accurate measurements. That would, following the guidelines I keep seeing of 4sqft in the coop and 10 in the run, be a sufficient bare minimum, but I want to make sure that they would have enough room to roam and be happy.
Yes, that is the big question. It will partly depend on the individual hens and how they act.

Your comment re insulation:
  1. Chickens do not need insulation in fact will peck away at it until it is broken and spread all over your coop.
  2. They do need shelter from drafts and 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird to vent humidity and ammonia.
I have no experience with TSC coops but I have seen and looked at them closely for use as a brooder, I chose to build my own.

This topic comes up repeatedly on BYC; folks who have gone down this path typically say:
  1. Upgrades are often needed on hardware and how the HC is attached.
  2. If they are exposed to harsh weather they leak and the wood begins to break within 2 years.
"...a sufficient bare minimum, but I want to make sure that they would have enough room to roam and be happy...". From my experience (i have 30ish birds in a coop & run sized for 40 with the pop door open 24/7) "bare minimums" do not allow room to roam nor result in happy hens, more often the opposite is true. Also remember that your feeders/waterers take space that will subtract from the totals.

Yes additions like branches/blocks are good additions to a run. Just be careful that such additions do not subtract from available floor space.

You mention predators like mink, bears, raccoons. For mink you need to make sure there are no holes the size of a quarter or larger; bears will destroy that coop (and others much larger and stronger) in seconds, electrical fencing is the only protection; raccoons are very strong and have digits that are almost as dexterous as humans, unless the HC is attached very securely (screws & washers or over laid with wooden strips) they will peel it off with ease (I have seen one hanging off the HC trying to get in).

Good luck!

Last edited:
The big issue is whether there's enough space for 3 hens, even with more accurate measurements. That would, following the guidelines I keep seeing of 4sqft in the coop and 10 in the run, be a sufficient bare minimum, but I want to make sure that they would have enough room to roam and be happy. Would it be good to put some branches/cinder blocks in the run so they have a more entertaining and interactive environment? Thanks!
Keep in mind those minimum guidelines are just that, minimum. Some birds will get along fine in that amount of space. Others will pick feathers and attack one another. So that makes it impossible to know for sure if this will or won't work for you.

As it sounds like you've already decided to get this regardless, it'd be a good idea to plan ahead for "just in case" - what will you do if things don't work out? Do you know anyone you can rehome birds to, are you willing to expand the run, etc.?

As far as enrichment I would avoid putting anything large in that run (anything that eats up floor space), you simply do not have room in there for it.

Back
Top Bottom