How many hens are good in here?

Does anyone have any experience with this run? It seems like a good potential add-on, but I'm not sure if the wire would be able to keep predators out.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-universal-poultry-pen-8-ft-x-8-ft-cr0808
You would need to augment the fencing with hardware cloth, as the gaps in that would not exclude weasels, snakes, rodents, and raccoons from reaching in. Most run kits have the same issue.

If you're willing to do the work (of adding on hardware cloth) you might look into dog kennels as an alternate option as might be cheaper or more readily available, but again you will need to cover up the chain link to some degree to exclude smaller pests and predators.

On the plus side for 3 hens this would be a decent amount of space, with room for the coop to be built or placed inside it for extra security.

You would need to augment the fencing with hardware cloth, as the gaps in that would not exclude weasels, snakes, rodents, and raccoons from reaching in. Most run kits have the same issue.

If you're willing to do the work (of adding on hardware cloth) you might look into dog kennels as an alternate option as might be cheaper or more readily available, but again you will need to cover up the chain link to some degree to exclude smaller pests and predators.

On the plus side for 3 hens this would be a decent amount of space, with room for the coop to be built or placed inside it for extra security.
Thank you! I think I could probably attach this run to the main coop's run, so it'd have the space of both (total 100 sqft). Definitely should be enough for 3.

I have a lot of predators (mink, bears, raccoons, eagles, hawks, etc) in my area

Does anyone have any experience with this run? It seems like a good potential add-on, but I'm not sure if the wire would be able to keep predators out.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-universal-poultry-pen-8-ft-x-8-ft-cr0808
For how secure the wire of that run is:

Wire strong enough to keep out a dog, fox, or coyote: probably yes.
Keep out eagles and hawks, probably also yes.

Wire holes small enough to keep out mink, rats, snakes, the hands of raccoons, the paws of cats, etc: probably not.

Strong enough to keep out a bear: probably not if the bear is determined to get in. But that would be true of almost anything you could buy or build.

If the chickens spend the day in that run, and the night locked into a more secure coop, they might be fine. Many predators are more active at night, and chickens are more vulnerable when they are sleeping. For example, a raccoon might be able to reach through that wire and grab a sleeping chicken-- but maybe not a chicken that is awake and runs to the other side of the pen, and definitely not a chicken that is sleeping in a coop safely away from the wire of the run.

I've seen that one at tractor supply. You would need hardware cloth all over or sheet metal a couple feet up to prevent a weasel from climbing, and hardware cloth into the ground or other means to prevent digging underneath. Most people use a hardware cloth skirt because it's effective and you don't have to dig very deep.

I had full size birds (red sex links, orpingtons, barred rocks) in a small coop with a very large (25x30ft) run. It worked, but I was constantly cleaning the coop. I had not room for error if one of them was aggressive. Integrating new birds into the flock was a pain in the posterior for all parties involved. More room gives you more options. I would seriously consider bantams in a coop that small before I put 3 full sized breeds in there, even with all the run space. It'll probably work fine with the big run, but you'll be doing a lot of coop maintenance in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom