outside temps and shipping eggs? handwarmers?

tidbit on hand warmers they have to have air flow to work, they work by a chem reaction activated by oxygen, and can get hot enough to burn skin! (ask me how i know)

There are some heat packs that are made to use to mail around $$$$$$ tropical fish and plants. I don't think they'd work well if they cooked the fish.

That said, I think the risk is if the eggs get too warm. The handwarmers last like 72 hours at most? If the eggs warm up too much and the embryos start to develop in transit, a temperature swing (like a chill when the warmer runs out) or rough handling of the box could cause you to lose the eggs.

It might be too warm and mess things up, 'ya know?

Last edited:
ps. what I thought about trying was a simple envelope made of that Reflectix insulation/bubble wrap. If the eggs were packaged and then put inside one of those, it might well be a very cheap and simple way to prevent them from freezing - or - getting overly warm.

PPPPPPPSSSSSSSS.

These would be really easy to test! Put some eggs in a box, who cares if they are fertile, put in a handwarmer, stick a thermometer in there (one that tracks low and high temps), and stick it in the freezer for a couple of days. See what the high and low temperature ends up being.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

I could try the Reflectix test if anyone really, really, really cares other than me.

Back
Top Bottom