outside?

Quote:
Yeah, maybe so{{{sigh}}} jsut a sec....going to check it now. It 11 C this morning..now it's afternoon....wow,just checked..it's gone up to 16.9 C.
Got to go convert that one....

Ours are outside from day one, we have a chick house with a heat lamp and plenty of wood chips and it has a pen attached so we can leave the door open and they can come and go as they please. When we first got them we would close the door in the evenings when it would dip to 40-50 degrees.

Mine are almost a couple of weeks old. I took them out today for a bit. It was really sunny and about 70 degrees F. They loved it and my Jap Bantam was even flapping her wings and ljumping from my dd back to me. She perched on my flip flop too.
wink.png
They seemed fine and even fell asleep on the grass. The sun must have felt great on them.

Quote:
I can't wait to be able to bring them out...but won't they run off? Wouldn't they be difficult to catch? I'm nervous about it,but excited at the same time to see them enjoying the sunshine. Mine will be 2 weeks on Sunday. They are flapping their wings in the brooder, taking turns jumping off of their feeder and chirpping lol...

Last edited:
Myst- My dd and I put our legs out in a triangle and touched toes so that the babies couldn't get away.
wink.png
I was afraid they would try to run off too. They didn't seem like they wanted to go to far away from me anyway. Now the first time we allow them to free range when they are older I am going to be nervous wreck.

I bring mine outside everyday for a 1/2 hour, as long as its above 55 degrees. They love it. I think it also cuts down on any pecking or aggression in the brooder (they haven't had any) because they get exercise and they're not bored.
mine have been going out since they were 2 weeks old.

Quote:
I'm with you on that one....I'm a nervous wreck just thinking about it. I'm tempted to build a little pen for them while they are little. Today is a nerve wrecking day for me, I just let my adult chickens go free range. The reason being is because they have clean any sort of life out of their pen and I felt bad that they were missing out on the goodness of grass and bugs. They were free range before I got them, and were for a coupld of days after we got them, but I was too nervous to continue it. I'm trying again. Since I will be having so many more chickens(12 babies,broody hen on 10 eggs and 28 eggs in my bator) I figured that they should have the space and all the pleasures of free ranging. But I'm going crazy with worry.We do have hawks in my area.I just hope none come around here and hurt my chickens
:thun

Quote:
MY husband and I are in the process of building a large pen for them in our barn. They will have lots of space to run and play and be safe. I will put the heat lamp in there to make sure they won't be cold. I will need my brooder in 11 days when my second batch of chicks hatch. I'm so glad we have a huge barn. Also my pot bellied pig will be in the next pen to keep a watchful eye on them haha
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom