Ovaduct problem?

BallardDuck

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Ballard in Seattle
Hopefully this is nothing...that would be a nice change!
I first noticed Ping, my 15 month White Layer looked like her belly was hanging a bit lower than usual. (She looks a bit like an overweight cat right now) So I started watching her a bit closer, and it seems like she is walking a bit heavier, kinda like an overweight person I suppose...kinda lumbering. Now I honestly don't recall this happening; it seemed like all the girls were about the same size.
Then after cleaning the pen and pool, she tried getting in a couple times, couldn't, and gave up. She has been standing at the edge sipping water, but won't get in. This is unusual as she is the first one in the pool and I usually have to push her out at night.
I did a bit of reading on here about being egg-bound. The kicker is her behavior isn't really all that off. She is eating from the trough, drinking water, walking about with the others, and preening. These were all things that other threads said would be an indication of egg-binding troubles. I have also witnessed her pooping several times, so it's not like everything is plugged. Though her vent is very visible...not necessarily swollen, but just in sight, which it usually isn't. She also did her share of dabbling when free ranging in the garden.
Also, tonight I picked her up and felt her belly. It didn't seem abnormally hot, for a duck. Also it was uniformly firm; I didn't feel and hard spots or soft spots. I put her in the pool, and she swam around a bit, then exited and preened for a spell.
I think I'm going to try the warm bath, and maybe a bit of olive oil in the vent, like I see suggested for egg-bound birds. Any other thoughts out there?
Am I just being overly worried?

Has she been laying normally up until now? If so, has she missed more days than usual? (It's better to be safe and observant in my opinion, but I'm a chronic worrier over my ducks.)

That's the part I'm not sure of...well, another part I'm not sure of.
All 3 were laying an egg a day since last November, then a month ago it was down to 2, but not sure who was doing what. I assumed Mary Pang was not laying because she appeared to be going through a wing molt...but this morning there were 2 eggs again! Hmmm...I'm beginning to think maybe I'm just a nut...a nut with a fat duck! Just seems weird tho.

Okay, I just looked out the kitchen window and saw Ping flapping her wings, so I went on out to investigate. Ta-dah! One big egg, but with that weird crystalized coating on it...I've forgotten what that's all about?
Anyway...I'm hoping this means crisis passed. I'll just keep a close eye on her for a bit.

Okay, I just looked out the kitchen window and saw Ping flapping her wings, so I went on out to investigate. Ta-dah! One big egg, but with that weird crystalized coating on it...I've forgotten what that's all about?
Anyway...I'm hoping this means crisis passed. I'll just keep a close eye on her for a bit.
How is Ping?

one of my ducks went like this turned out she had egg peritinitus and theres nothing you can do is what we where told :( if swelling is still persistant i would say give antibiotics a try she may have an infection but hopefully it was just the big egg :)

Sorry, probably seems like I just dropped this. I have been massaging her abdomen and giving her warm baths and haven't really noticed any change in 2 weeks. I have come to the conclusion that I may just have a fat duck!
Her daily behavior remains unchanged...still active with the flock, foraging, eating and drinking, everything normal. I just wanted to say thank you all for input; these little creatures can seem mysterious at times!
Now I have to figure out how to get her on a bit of a diet without affecting the other girls!

Sorry, probably seems like I just dropped this. I have been massaging her abdomen and giving her warm baths and haven't really noticed any change in 2 weeks. I have come to the conclusion that I may just have a fat duck!
Her daily behavior remains unchanged...still active with the flock, foraging, eating and drinking, everything normal. I just wanted to say thank you all for input; these little creatures can seem mysterious at times!
Now I have to figure out how to get her on a bit of a diet without affecting the other girls!
Glad to hear it's sounds like something that can be fixed, maybe not so many treats lol if she is still acting normal duckie then your probably right.

Back
Top Bottom