over 2 months and still small eggs

K-Chick

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
NW In
Any reason why my RR's are still laying small eggs? Its driving me crazy. Its been over 2 months since they started laying. My ISA's are doing fine. Any ideas?

RIRs mature more slowly, they can take months to ramp up.

They'll likely lay for more years though.
smile.png

Glad to see this - I'm also wondering. 2 Black Stars, 2 Red Stars, 2 Leghorns, & 1 Buff Orp. They started laying in late August, & while getting larger, still seem smaller than store-bought. Except for 1 of the Leghorns who lays a double yolker at least once a week.

Will they keep getting larger, or is this normal size for non-commercial birds? They lay pretty much every day, so I don't think there's a health/nutrition issue.

I only care because I bake a lot & egg size does make a difference in some recipes.

I'm more familar with RIRs, but I'd expect that your pure eggers (sex links and leghorns) will lay more per week sooner, and get to their full size eggs quickly, whereas your heavy dual purpose breeds will take longer to mature, take longer to get to their full laying rates, and their full sized eggs.

Just my limited experience based mostly on RIRs and red sex links. Hope that helps you.

Back
Top Bottom