Over 40 2 week old chicks Dead!

Wunjo

Songster
8 Years
Oct 13, 2013
Monticello, Ky
So as usual I hatched out some more chicks. They were healthy. They had adequate heat, water, food, bedding, etc. Around 2 weeks old they started dying. The first day 10, second day 4 or 5 more and so on. It took around 5 days for them to all die off. Now I suspect that my husband brought in a disease. He had went to a chicken farm and the next day is when they started dieing. He had helped the guy clean out nest. He had dust on his clothes. Now my question is what do I do with the brooder? The chicks was in the house in an indoor brooder. I am afraid to take it outside due to maybe spreading the disease to my other chickens. The brooder was a wooden box. Also I have been throwing the dead chicks in the trash for trash pickup to ensure that none of them would spread disease by taking them outside. I would like to get the brooder out of the house as soon as possible, but I don't want to endanger my chickens or future chickens by disposing of it and the bedding outside.

So therefore I just need to know what to do with the brooder. Oh and if my adult chickens could have been exposed just by me going out to feed the adults and also being inside with the chicks.

I'm so sorry. I would probably also burn the brooder.

Have you considered calling the county extension agent to find out what you have?

Yes, there is certainly a chance your ccurrent flock has also been exposed. Even with careful management, it's not hard to do.

If your husband went to the chicken farm and your chicks started dying the very next day.... I don't know of any disease that would infect and kill so many in such a short amount of time, they usually have some sort of incubation period before you see symptoms. What could kill that many chicks that fast is a case of coccidiosis and I would be more suspicious of that in this situation. I keep Corid on hand and start treating immediately the minute I see the earliest signs.

Edited to add: If you have any more die look into getting a necropsy done, some state labs will do them for free. It's always good to have definite answers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom