Over breeding caused injury on hen

Put some unpasteurized ACV into her drinking water honestly it really helps with healing and also helps kill bacteria and works as a tonic, if she can wash her face in this water. 1-2 tab to 1 gallon of water.
I will do this for sure!

I posted on all the facebook forums in the area about the ducks, hopefully will get a response. I would like to rehome 3 drakes ASAP.

dont feel that way i didn't know either, i thought they would be fine in the coop since they were fine in the yard you live and learn. some people on here are know it all snobbies just like in real life, remember its the internet people boldly say anything and we all see a-hols that do that but i know you mean well darlin. just seclude her if you can, i could NOT so i had to go another way and guess what egg production is up 2 days later and they are all really happy and snuggling now its a whole new flock. i was really sad to loose my duck too and my roo he was a cukoo maran (sp?) simply stunning but evil down to the bone!

Thank you everyone. I am doing my best to rehome them otherwise my husband will have to butcher (I won't be able to take part in that!). I am in northern Alberta.

I'm sure your girl will heal fine. We had a little Australian spotted that was beat up far worse than that who we actually couldn't medicate at all beyond dabbing on some Blue every other day (she was the wildest duck I've ever had and treating her was more stressful than the injury). It can happen fast...we'd had that batch of ducks for about 6 months with absolutely no problems. Ratio was more like 6 to 1 than 4 to 1. We went on an over night trip & came back to find that the drakes had decided that it was spring and completely torn up that hen. Oddly, it was only THAT hen that the worst drake was interested in. When she was removed, he completely ignored the others. The instant we tried re-introducing her a few weeks later, he started at her again. He was dead that night. I don't tolerate rape in any species. And I *really* didn't want that trait to be passed down to another generation which meant that the other drakes from that same hatch also went down.

Two drakes are gone. 1 left to go. I think my ratio is better now... I have 5 callduck hens and 2 drakes, 1 pekin hen, 1 rouen hen, 1 pekin drake, 2 callduck x hens and 1 callduck x drake. So... 9 hens and 5 drakes. Does that work?

Two drakes are gone. 1 left to go. I think my ratio is better now... I have 5 callduck hens and 2 drakes, 1 pekin hen, 1 rouen hen, 1 pekin drake, 2 callduck x hens and 1 callduck x drake. So... 9 hens and 5 drakes. Does that work?
all you can do it try it, I have 4 drakes to 11 ducks so my ratio isn't all that good either, but I monitor and if any of the girls look drake worn they get time out or if one of the drakes gets too carried away [so far that hasn't happened] They get time out or they will be rehomed. See how it goes and then decide from there. 2 large ducks to your Pekin drake should be fine, but I'd keep him away from your small ducks.

Back
Top Bottom