Over breeding caused injury on hen

DuckCommander

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Alberta

Poor Gertie's eyes were stuck completely shut when I discovered this today. These pictures were taken after a warm bath in the bath tub where she will be living for the next few days so she can heal up a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to treat her? Should I get some eye drops for her?

DuckCommander, I forget if you are new to ducks or not, but as a female animal I want to state very clearly that your duck is being abused, and you are the one who must protect her. It is simple enough. Get her away from the drakes. Now. Actually, a month ago would have been the time.

She is suffering. She is in pain. She is being hurt. You can fix this.

All the medicine in the world will not save her life if you do not stop this.

As soon as I found the problem I took the hen out. She is currently in the bathtub. I was trying not to have to butcher drakes because they all have a home with a pond in the spring, but I guess I have no choice to do that. :(
I'm a bit upset, I came on here for help because I am new to this and now have been made feel like I am just plain neglectful. Thank you for those with advice on how to treat the medical issue of this case. I understand that she cannot be with the drakes anymore.
DuckCommander, I used strong language because I was not sure you understood the seriousness of the situation. And I chose to err on the side of being too emphatic. It is good that you have separated her. Perhaps you can rehome the drakes. Have you considered posting a thread in the rehoming forum? This is one of the difficult parts with ducks. I do not think you deliberately did anything wrong. Another possibility is to rehome her, and keep a drake flock.

Meanwhile, I hope we can hear from you about her progress. What treatment have you decided to use?

dont feel that way i didn't know either, i thought they would be fine in the coop since they were fine in the yard you live and learn. some people on here are know it all snobbies just like in real life, remember its the internet people boldly say anything and we all see a-hols that do that but i know you mean well darlin. just seclude her if you can, i could NOT so i had to go another way and guess what egg production is up 2 days later and they are all really happy and snuggling now its a whole new flock. i was really sad to loose my duck too and my roo he was a cukoo maran (sp?) simply stunning but evil down to the bone!

Two drakes are gone. 1 left to go. I think my ratio is better now... I have 5 callduck hens and 2 drakes, 1 pekin hen, 1 rouen hen, 1 pekin drake, 2 callduck x hens and 1 callduck x drake. So... 9 hens and 5 drakes. Does that work?
all you can do it try it, I have 4 drakes to 11 ducks so my ratio isn't all that good either, but I monitor and if any of the girls look drake worn they get time out or if one of the drakes gets too carried away [so far that hasn't happened] They get time out or they will be rehomed. See how it goes and then decide from there. 2 large ducks to your Pekin drake should be fine, but I'd keep him away from your small ducks.

Your ratio depends entirely on the drakes and how aggressive they are. I read someone who had a "good ratio" they had like 5 hens to a drake and one was still getting picked and injured because she was the drakes "favorite" and there was one that they wouldn't touch. So just watch them and look for signs!

Oh yes, male ducks can do serious damage and death can result as well.

Does your duck have a bowl to dip her bill into (1"-3" deep)? If not, she needs it. I think I would be inclined to carefully use straight saline solution to flush that eye- (Like the kind that is used for contact lenses). But if she will attempt to bathe on her own then you might not need to very often. I think I'd get Blu Kote around it and on the neck, but absolutely not in the eye.

Back
Top Bottom