Over breeding caused injury on hen

Oh yes, male ducks can do serious damage and death can result as well.

Does your duck have a bowl to dip her bill into (1"-3" deep)? If not, she needs it. I think I would be inclined to carefully use straight saline solution to flush that eye- (Like the kind that is used for contact lenses). But if she will attempt to bathe on her own then you might not need to very often. I think I'd get Blu Kote around it and on the neck, but absolutely not in the eye.
Triple antibiotic or Neosporin with out pain relief, if you use Blue kote you'll have to dab it on to keep it out of her eyes. And keep the drakes away from her till she is completely healed or better yet keep her away from the drakes period her and any other females you have, Looks like gang rape to me.

we just had to cull 3 roos and a duck for this. the duck picked this one buff to go after every ten seconds and her back was a scab it was horrid and the other hens were stressed to the duck was even mounting roos!

That's why it is never advisable to keep a mixed flock without a ratio of 3-4 ducks per drake. Can't stress that enough. And as @LittlePriceFarm points out, drakes don't care, they can go after chickens too. Prevention and planning are the best way to stop these injuries in the first place. Now after the injury has occurred, the Duck Keeper or Farmer must attend to the injured duck's healing. So @DuckCommander what are you doing today and how is your duck?

drake we thought it was a female well after all "her" sister hens were laying we thought maybe she was stunted and then hubby went out this winter and he was viciously raping ALL the chickens every 10 seconds hubby put off the culling for two weeks and in that time the buff was ravaged so bad all her back feathers were gone and the roos were not much better ( when its nice the free range and have room we never had any issue) its our first year needless to say we learned a lot about chicken rape -_-

drake we thought it was a female well after all "her" sister hens were laying we thought maybe she was stunted and then hubby went out this winter and he was viciously raping ALL the chickens every 10 seconds hubby put off the culling for two weeks and in that time the buff was ravaged so bad all her back feathers were gone and the roos were not much better ( when its nice the free range and have room we never had any issue) its our first year needless to say we learned a lot about chicken rape -_-
Very tough lesson to learn, but being willing to take care of the problem made you a hero to the hen who was abused. And I'm sure tranquility has once again entered the flock.

i hope so i love my flock! best pets ever! we kept one nice roo he eats out of our hands!
I love my roo's and will only keep the gentlemen, I love the way they look out for their girls and give out the warning call when danger is around. Even the ducks appreciate them for that. Even if they are slower to respond.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom