URGENT - INJURY - hole in ducks face after attack

DaffodilDucky

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2023
If anyone can please offer advice.
I’m a long time lurker, this is my first post.

My two sweet ducks were severely attacked on Monday. Weasel or raccoon.
Coco was killed and eaten and the only trace was a few feathers left in the coop.

Daffodil (Saxony) SURVIVED the attack. I’m on day three with her now. She is the most wonderful girl. She’s 4 years old. I’ve had her since she was a day old. Pandemic project ducks for the family.

Her entire neck is RAW with puncture wounds on her head and neck. My main concern is there is a part of her bill that looks slightly detached. She sounds mechanical when drinking. She has a gaping hole in her face and I can see through. Will this grow back? What can I do to help her heal? ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE SO GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I am working with my vet who is delightful but she is not an aviary vet. I have been keeping her neck moist. Spritzing with calendula and water. Draping a damp paper towel across her neck.
She started antibiotics yesterday (amox-clav 400)
She IS drinking but not really eating, although she did take a bit of food from my hand this morning and did manage some lettuce. A tiny bit. I added some nutri drench to her water.
Giving her daily epsom salt baths

She IS PREENING
I took her outside in the sun today to help dry her feathers better after her tub. She quacked and was able to walk a bit outside.
She preened for a good five minutes with great range of motion for her neck considering her extensive injuries.
I have her in my bathroom. She is pretty much staying in one place. She hasn’t laid down at all that I have seen. Her life force is strong. If she were behaving sick and not caring for herself or responding to me I would euthanize. She’s very much alive. I want to give her the best chance to survive.
Thank you for reading. And any helpful advice you can offer.

Attachments

• 47A58472-2920-4722-AFAF-845DC51427B2.jpeg
    47A58472-2920-4722-AFAF-845DC51427B2.jpeg
    815.7 KB · Views: 828
  • D2359EE8-415F-4C98-ABD8-E33803347AAC.jpeg
    D2359EE8-415F-4C98-ABD8-E33803347AAC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 01E9C315-9CE3-4630-91C0-394B534EF0AE.jpeg
    01E9C315-9CE3-4630-91C0-394B534EF0AE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 35AD8494-AF9C-4990-A6AA-28F97D9CD826.jpeg
    35AD8494-AF9C-4990-A6AA-28F97D9CD826.jpeg
    692.4 KB · Views: 24
  • B94BF684-8B71-4C5C-BC1C-C711A865C5B1.jpeg
    B94BF684-8B71-4C5C-BC1C-C711A865C5B1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 7D413EA1-3991-47F1-9F9D-509E9F27B14D.jpeg
    7D413EA1-3991-47F1-9F9D-509E9F27B14D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
I’m sorry for your loss🙁 Did your vet by any chance mention Meloxicam for the pain? She isn’t eating much because it is extremely painful with the puncture wounds in the neck, missing the entire cheek muscles, broken bill etc. To survive this she will need to either start eating on her own soon or be tube fed. Ducks wither away very quickly without food even if they are perfectly healthy otherwise. However, I would ask your vet what she thinks about tube feed as I am not sure if tube feeding is even possible with her injuries. Personally, unless she can be on pain medication I would not put her through this recovery. I am not sure if the cheek will be able to fully regrow skin either with how much of the muscle is missing. Having a permanent hole there will be very problematic for eating in the future even if everything else does technically heal.

I’m sorry for your loss🙁 Did your vet by any chance mention Meloxicam for the pain? She isn’t eating much because it is extremely painful with the puncture wounds in the neck, missing the entire cheek muscles, broken bill etc. To survive this she will need to either start eating on her own soon or be tube fed. Ducks wither away very quickly without food even if they are perfectly healthy otherwise. However, I would ask your vet what she thinks about tube feed as I am not sure if tube feeding is even possible with her injuries. Personally, unless she can be on pain medication I would not put her through this recovery. I am not sure if the cheek will be able to fully regrow skin either with how much of the muscle is missing. Having a permanent hole there will be very problematic for eating in the future even if everything else does technically heal.
Thank you for your kind words and honest reply. I’m eager to give her the best chance possible and sincerely agree about pain meds. I’ve been dropping homeopathic arnica in her water since Monday to help ease the trauma. Thank you for a pain med recommendation. That’s really helpful. Vet is coming by tomorrow, I will ask her then. Her initial feeling was to put her down because of the extensive injuries. But after seeing her neck movement and preening, she agreed to start antibiotics and see where we are in a few days. I have been offering her food by syringe, she’s not interested and I worry about it going down the wrong way. I’ll look into tube feeding more. I worry about her fragile bill and being able to open it for her as there’s no where to anchor, if that makes sense. Right now she bites at the syringe. I soaked some starter food for her, and she’s not eating, but she IS drinking that water, so she’s getting something at the very least. I love her so much, she’s a really special duck. I certainly don’t want her to suffer unnecessarily. Thanks again.

Thank you for your kind words and honest reply. I’m eager to give her the best chance possible and sincerely agree about pain meds. I’ve been dropping homeopathic arnica in her water since Monday to help ease the trauma. Thank you for a pain med recommendation. That’s really helpful. Vet is coming by tomorrow, I will ask her then. Her initial feeling was to put her down because of the extensive injuries. But after seeing her neck movement and preening, she agreed to start antibiotics and see where we are in a few days. I have been offering her food by syringe, she’s not interested and I worry about it going down the wrong way. I’ll look into tube feeding more. I worry about her fragile bill and being able to open it for her as there’s no where to anchor, if that makes sense. Right now she bites at the syringe. I soaked some starter food for her, and she’s not eating, but she IS drinking that water, so she’s getting something at the very least. I love her so much, she’s a really special duck. I certainly don’t want her to suffer unnecessarily. Thanks again.
If she's only able to drink, maybe chicken broth? (The no salt added stuff) adding honey and some nutri-drench to her water would probably be good. (Raw, unfiltered honey, at 2 TBS/gallon).... Or maybe more, given that she needs calories... That's a vet question.
Maybe try to make the starter food more of a slurry than a paste?
I'm sorry for your loss! I have no idea if she can regrow that much cheek, but birds have a habit of being tougher than you'd think. I'm sorry you and she have to go through this. Keep us updated!❤️

Coco was killed and eaten and the only trace was a few feathers left in the coop.

Daffodil (Saxony) SURVIVED the attack. I’m on day three with her now. She is the most wonderful girl. She’s 4 years old. I’ve had her since she was a day old. Pandemic project ducks for the family.

Her entire neck is RAW with puncture wounds on her head and neck. My main concern is there is a part of her bill that looks slightly detached. She sounds mechanical when drinking. She has a gaping hole in her face and I can see through. Will this grow back? What can I do to help her heal? ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE SO GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I am working with my vet who is delightful but she is not an aviary vet. I have been keeping her neck moist. Spritzing with calendula and water. Draping a damp paper towel across her neck.
She IS drinking but not really eating, although she did take a bit of food from my hand this morning and did manage some lettuce. A tiny bit. I added some nutri drench to her water.

She IS PREENING
I took her outside in the sun today to help dry her feathers better after her tub. She quacked and was able to walk a bit outside.
She preened for a good five minutes with great range of motion for her neck considering her extensive injuries.
I have her in my bathroom. She is pretty much staying in one place. She hasn’t laid down at all that I have seen. Her life force is strong. If she were behaving sick and not caring for herself or responding to me I would euthanize. She’s very much alive. I want to give her the best chance to survive.

She IS PREENING
She’s EATING today! My truly wonderful vet just left and said Daffodil is looking much better. She’s going to call in the pain meds. Says we are on the right path and to keep closely monitoring. Thanks for the advice.

She IS PREENING
Just wanted to update that Daffodil continues to heal beautifully. We finished with the antibiotics. She’s been having daily outings at our pond (supervised) and she went to her coop on her own a few days ago. I still have her inside in my bathroom, but allow her to free range a few times a day. I have since introduced her to new ducklings that just arrived so she’s not so lonely now. My dear vet said we are out of the woods! Thanks for the shared concern and much appreciated advice.

Attachments

• 4D5371F2-7E84-4343-8E35-F2B7282D5E3A.jpeg
    4D5371F2-7E84-4343-8E35-F2B7282D5E3A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 9C18541F-B793-43C9-82EE-FFAB7D796AC6.jpeg
    9C18541F-B793-43C9-82EE-FFAB7D796AC6.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 9E7402DD-51E0-4685-B754-EC3B7B6AE8D5.jpeg
    9E7402DD-51E0-4685-B754-EC3B7B6AE8D5.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 26

Back
Top Bottom