Fox attacked my ducks

Pics

Corinne23

Songster
Aug 5, 2021
I had a flock of 7 ducks a fox came killed my one drake and dragged it away and attacked another but she is ok. Just a few puncture wounds in her neck that I have cleaned out and treated they are not deep. Is there anything else I need to do? She seems so helpless right now. Should I put her back with her sisters or leave her separated for a few days

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpeg
    IMG_0491.jpeg
    394.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 20
for shock, put her in a quiet and dark space and give her electrolytes to drink you can make some using a cup of water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and pinch of baking soda if you don’t have any

what did you use to clean the wounds . a lot of ppl use hydrogen peroxide and that’s ok but only for the first cleaning. after that only use either a saline solution to rinse the wound or povidone iodine 10% 1 part to 9 parts water and rinse with that then use some antibiotic ointment like neosporin but only the original kind do not use the kind with pain relief.
keep the wound moist don’t let it dry out .
also no you can’t put her out with everyone yet.

oh and also it’s a good idea to clip away any feathers that are getting in the wound too much so they don’t get in the way of healing. puncture wounds may be infected do you have any poultry antibiotics on hand

oh and also it’s a good idea to clip away any feathers that are getting in the wound too much so they don’t get in the way of healing. puncture wounds may be infected do you have any poultry antibiotics on hand
I cleaned it with antibiotic spray that I have and some water. I’m 9 months pregnant and was in full panic mode when my husband gets home he’s going to use the iodine to clean it better and cut the feathers. And put in neosprin. The one puncture wound seems deeper then the other but not too deep. I’m just so worried about her. Should I put her with her sisters tonight or keep her in the house??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 19
I also used a little dawn on her chest to clean the feathers that had blood on them off so I could see better

I’d keep her in over night so you can monitor how she is doing. Especially while she’syou live is an in shock. Very sorry for your loss. If where is anything like here it’s so muddy and that is one thing you don’t want to introduce into her wounds is mud and nasty bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom