raccoon attack on my buff duck-feathers ripped off and punture wound on neck

ive had a raccoon attack one of my ducks while they were in their pool. i heard flopping in my backyard and ran out to find my female duck being dragged through my yard by a large raccoon i chased it and then it ran up a tree and dropped my duck. it was bleeding from the back of her neck, one deep puncture wound. the main wound was feathers that were ripped from the skin. it has a fishy smell to it, which i can assume is not good. she has survived for two night now shes on her third. ive givin her one bath to clean her off and after the bath i did a quick saline rinse only on her wounds and dried her off. after i applied banixx an anti infection ect spray and even after that she still has a bad smell on her neck. i only have two ducks so they are both separated and i let them see each other yesterday because the non injured duck thought she was dead. i would just like to know if what im doing is right and if itll keep her alive. ill take a picture of her wound and id like feedback on what to do

seperate concern:
im worried the injured duck is egg bound, she hasnt laid an egg for 3 days and has been acting lethargic i gave her a warm soak in water for around 15 min so i hope that helps. im not sure if she is egg bound or if she just hasnt had the right diet to produce eggs. i felt around down there and i couldnt feel anything but she seemed to be uncomfortable when i touched a certain spot but i couldnt feel an egg. if anyone has any tips to figure out whats wrong feel free to reply!

⚠️warning fairly graphic⚠️
:hugsSorry for you're ducky
You're doing everything I would do, maybe put some Neosporin on the wound.. I think she'll be fine.

I honestly don't know how to take care of the egg bound problem, I'm sorry.

today shes doing better the wounds have been cleaned well. the wounds are looking better now, but im worried she has another issue. she hasnt laid an egg since the attack and im worried she might be egg bound. is there anything else it could be
go ahead and give her 1 ml calcium gluconate per day for a few days that will help push an egg out if she is eggbound and even if she’s not, the extra calcium will not hurt her liquid calcium gluconate is sold online like Amazon I get durvet brand from tractor supply. that works the best . it says injectable for cattle, but for ducks, you give it orally like with a syringe with no needle have you ever given oral medicine before you have to be very careful not to get it in the trachea … but if you can’t get that you can use calcium citrate with D3 tablet the ones made for humans and give her one of those instead, and the last resort is a Tums. There are videos showing how to give oral medication’s to all waterfowl and poultry I just can’t link one on here right now because I’m outside using my cell phone

hey, I was also thinking maybe you can put the liquid calcium gluconate on some peas or something I just don’t know how she’ll get it all that way, perhaps makes it into her feed and make a mash ?

she hasnt laid an egg since the attack and im worried she might be egg bound. is there anything else it could be
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure ducks can stop laying when they’re stressed. I wouldn’t be surprised if the raccoon attack stressed her out enough for her to stop. Keep checking and treating for egg-binding, of course, but also know the lack of eggs could be perfectly normal in a time like this.

thank you i got what seemed to be all the dirt out of the main wounds, and ive been doing a daily wash with hibiclens first and then saline. then i apply banixx and a top coat of neosporin. does that sound good?

today shes doing better the wounds have been cleaned well. the wounds are looking better now, but im worried she has another issue. she hasnt laid an egg since the attack and im worried she might be egg bound. is there anything else it could be
Wound treatment sounds good.

As suggested, it won't hurt to give her extra Calcium for a few days, but if she were egg bound, I would assume you'd notice symptoms of distress, pushing and she wouldn't be pooping.

Back
Top Bottom