raccoon attack on my buff duck-feathers ripped off and punture wound on neck

Amoxicillin is very hard to find now due to a shortage. In the link above it is unavailable. Most wounds will get better with cleaning them with saline or wound spray, and applying Neosporin ointment twice a day. But if it smells, and raccoons do smell fishy, I would clean it with Hibiclens or other chlorhexidene, or Betadine and rinse a few rimes. Then go back to the saline and Neosporin. Clipping feathers near the wound may also help.

the duck is doing fine today, same as yesterday. someone did recommend that i remove access feathers, but when i went to do that her feathers were soaked in blood (from the first day, the bleeding has stopped) so it pretty much scabbed over and there are little cuts which made me weary about cutting them so i didnt and i dont want to open up the wounds again so if u have any advice to keep it clean and avoid infection

Amoxicillin is very hard to find now due to a shortage. In the link above it is unavailable. Most wounds will get better with cleaning them with saline or wound spray, and applying Neosporin ointment twice a day. But if it smells, and raccoons do smell fishy, I would clean it with Hibiclens or other chlorhexidene, or Betadine and rinse a few rimes. Then go back to the saline and Neosporin. Clipping feathers near the wound may also help.
ok thank you so much that really helps

the duck is doing fine today, same as yesterday. someone did recommend that i remove access feathers, but when i went to do that her feathers were soaked in blood (from the first day, the bleeding has stopped) so it pretty much scabbed over and there are little cuts which made me weary about cutting them so i didnt and i dont want to open up the wounds again so if u have any advice to keep it clean and avoid infection
That is great news, you want to ensure no feathers are struck in the wound as it scabs over. That is the reason for clipping besides being able to see what your treating.

Agreed.
Often a thorough cleaning daily with Chlorhexidine can do wonders in a wound that seems to be getting infected.

Agreed.
Often a thorough cleaning daily with Chlorhexidine can do wonders in a wound that seems to be getting infected.
thank you i got what seemed to be all the dirt out of the main wounds, and ive been doing a daily wash with hibiclens first and then saline. then i apply banixx and a top coat of neosporin. does that sound good?

today shes doing better the wounds have been cleaned well. the wounds are looking better now, but im worried she has another issue. she hasnt laid an egg since the attack and im worried she might be egg bound. is there anything else it could be

Back
Top Bottom