Fox attack help!!!

We had a pekin duck get attacked by a bobcat a while back, so we share in your pain. Good for you to rush in and give it the boot! Infection is going to be your biggest hurdle. I cleaned the punctures with Vetericyn and chlorhexidene. Raw honey works great too! I would also get her on antibiotics asap. Our vet recommended Amoxicillin and Cyprofloxacin. If you need dosage, I can look back for how many MG per pound. Hope she's OK and getting better quick!

What did you use to clean her wounds? here is some good info on cleaning wounds starting on post 26. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/emergency.1559247/page-3#post-26436837
Thank you, I used some antibacterial wash that my vet gave me when one of my others had a wound (I can't remember it's name). I have cleaned it for tonight although it's still bleeding a little bit so I shall give it a night to heal the. Get on with trimming feathers and washing out again tomorrow morning! Thanks for all your help x

We had a pekin duck get attacked by a bobcat a while back, so we share in your pain. Good for you to rush in and give it the boot! Infection is going to be your biggest hurdle. I cleaned the punctures with Vetericyn and chlorhexidene. Raw honey works great too! I would also get her on antibiotics asap. Our vet recommended Amoxicillin and Cyprofloxacin. If you need dosage, I can look back for how many MG per pound. Hope she's OK and getting better quick!
I have cleaned the wounds with antiseptic wash and added some antibiotic powder to the wound. She has had a dose of metacam and will have another on in the morning. If she gets through the night I shall take her to the vets for some antibiotics x

I like Rooster Booster Poultry Cell rather than Nutridrench as it contains more minerals. Also, if you make up oral rehydration salts -- pedialyte -- and add Rooster Booster to that rather than plain water, your duck will get extra energy from the sugar/dextrose while she is not eating.

Vetericyn on the cleaned up wounds: I use hydrogen peroxide for the first clean up as it will get debris from out of the wound, salt water after that for cleaning, and leave the wounds open dont cover with a dressing.

The advice on pain relief and keeping quiet and dark given above is great

Good luck with nursing her back to good health.

I like Rooster Booster Poultry Cell rather than Nutridrench as it contains more minerals. Also, if you make up oral rehydration salts -- pedialyte -- and add Rooster Booster to that rather than plain water, your duck will get extra energy from the sugar/dextrose while she is not eating.

Vetericyn on the cleaned up wounds: I use hydrogen peroxide for the first clean up as it will get debris from out of the wound, salt water after that for cleaning, and leave the wounds open dont cover with a dressing.

The advice on pain relief and keeping quiet and dark given above is great

Good luck with nursing her back to good health.
I just woke up for work and she's still with us! She can stand fine and moves slightly. Just comes across as a little sad and scared. Hasn't eaten anything and I don't know if she has drunk. Will she be okay or should I try entice her to eat x

Back
Top Bottom