Over breeding caused injury on hen

DuckCommander

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Alberta

Poor Gertie's eyes were stuck completely shut when I discovered this today. These pictures were taken after a warm bath in the bath tub where she will be living for the next few days so she can heal up a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to treat her? Should I get some eye drops for her?

Oh yes, male ducks can do serious damage and death can result as well.

Does your duck have a bowl to dip her bill into (1"-3" deep)? If not, she needs it. I think I would be inclined to carefully use straight saline solution to flush that eye- (Like the kind that is used for contact lenses). But if she will attempt to bathe on her own then you might not need to very often. I think I'd get Blu Kote around it and on the neck, but absolutely not in the eye.

Oh yes, male ducks can do serious damage and death can result as well.

Does your duck have a bowl to dip her bill into (1"-3" deep)? If not, she needs it. I think I would be inclined to carefully use straight saline solution to flush that eye- (Like the kind that is used for contact lenses). But if she will attempt to bathe on her own then you might not need to very often. I think I'd get Blu Kote around it and on the neck, but absolutely not in the eye.
Triple antibiotic or Neosporin with out pain relief, if you use Blue kote you'll have to dab it on to keep it out of her eyes. And keep the drakes away from her till she is completely healed or better yet keep her away from the drakes period her and any other females you have, Looks like gang rape to me.

DuckCommander, I forget if you are new to ducks or not, but as a female animal I want to state very clearly that your duck is being abused, and you are the one who must protect her. It is simple enough. Get her away from the drakes. Now. Actually, a month ago would have been the time.

She is suffering. She is in pain. She is being hurt. You can fix this.

All the medicine in the world will not save her life if you do not stop this.

we just had to cull 3 roos and a duck for this. the duck picked this one buff to go after every ten seconds and her back was a scab it was horrid and the other hens were stressed to the duck was even mounting roos!

That's why it is never advisable to keep a mixed flock without a ratio of 3-4 ducks per drake. Can't stress that enough. And as @LittlePriceFarm points out, drakes don't care, they can go after chickens too. Prevention and planning are the best way to stop these injuries in the first place. Now after the injury has occurred, the Duck Keeper or Farmer must attend to the injured duck's healing. So @DuckCommander what are you doing today and how is your duck?

Back
Top Bottom