Over Breeding

Desiree_Shield

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2020
Hi this is my first time have chickens, I have 2 bantam hens and one bantam rooster as well as Sherman who is a barn yard mix. I have had them since March and they are a very tight family. But I am concerned that my two hens who just started laying eggs for the first time about two or three weeks might be getting over bread, is this something that happens often?

From what I understand from this post, you have 2 hens and 2 roosters? You are definitely going to have an issue with overbreeding and it isn’t fair to the hens, particularly with spring around the corner and hormones surging. Can you separate the hens from the roosters? Ratios vary according to breed and aggressiveness of breeding, but usually 8-10 hens per rooster is standard to avoid most overbreeding situations (though a rooster can still have a favourite hen). You’ll want to rehome a rooster and get more hens (another couple at least).

Hi this is my first time have chickens, I have 2 bantam hens and one bantam rooster as well as Sherman who is a barn yard mix. I have had them since March and they are a very tight family. But I am concerned that my two hens who just started laying eggs for the first time about two or three weeks might be getting over bread, is this something that happens often?
Is the barn yard mix also a rooster?
How old are they?
How big of a space are they in?
What makes you think they are being over bred? If you have 2 males with the girls, then likely they are. Take out one of the roosters and house him separately and see how that goes.
If you still feel they are over bred, then house the other one separately too.

Not sure what your goals are with the chickens?

It won't hurt for the roosters to be in their own pen/housing. If you want to breed, then just let the rooster with the girls for a couple of days.

is this something that happens often?

It happens fairly often with adolescent cockerels, a lot less often with mature roosters. What are you seeing that makes you think they might be overbred? Are the girls missing feathers, especially at the back of the head or on their back where the boys' feet stand during mating? Are the girls spending a lot of time where the boys aren't, usually in the coop or even up on the roosts so the boys cant get to them?

These are the typical signs of overbreeding. If you are not seeing any physical damage and they are acting normal around each other and intermingling I don't see a problem.

The girls are fine they are eating fine no missing feathers they all stay together and get upset when one isn’t with the group, they are my pets just to answer one of the posts above I have no plans with them. They have a large house to live in at night with a lot of roosting stick and laying boxes for the girls. I don’t see any of the signs that overbreeding would cause, but I can get a couple more hens for them. They are able to leave there house in the day time and get fresh air so if they did want to get away from the rooster they absolutely could at any given time.

The girls are fine they are eating fine no missing feathers they all stay together and get upset when one isn’t with the group, they are my pets just to answer one of the posts above I have no plans with them. They have a large house to live in at night with a lot of roosting stick and laying boxes for the girls. I don’t see any of the signs that overbreeding would cause, but I can get a couple more hens for them. They are able to leave there house in the day time and get fresh air so if they did want to get away from the rooster they absolutely could at any given time.
I am concerned that my two hens who just started laying eggs for the first time about two or three weeks might be getting over bread, is this something that happens often?
You had mentioned in your first post you were concerned that they were getting over bred.
Second post you see no signs of overbreeding, the girls are fine.
So...are you seeing the roosters take turn on the 2 hens or do you feel everything is fine?

Do you want fertile eggs you can hatch or you are just keeping the roosters and hens as pets. Nothing wrong with either of these, but you do need to consider what your plans may be if your bantams become broody - are you going to let them hatch eggs - if so, what would you do with more cockerels?

I never count on a hen being able to get away from a rooster much less 2. Sorry, I've seen it. Once panicked or ganged up on a hen loses all sense of where to go...a determined rooster will catch her for sure.

Just monitor them and see how interactions go, if you see trouble starting, then separate out a rooster is all I'm saying. I keep a pair myself. 1 rooster with 1 hen. They have been together almost 2 years with NO problems, no overmating, etc. it can be done - just depends on the temperament of the rooster and hen.

Back
Top Bottom