over crowding in bator..what to do????

David, can you expand just a bit on the sugar water?

What's the ration of sugar to water, and do you boil it together and then cool it or....?

I would guess you give it to them warm

The whole sugar water thing I got from Bob Plamondon. He reckons that they need a little boost once hatched, or after being shipped, to restore their energy. His success speaks for itself, so thats' good enough for me.

As for the sugar water. I use a quart sized waterer for chicks, the old fashioned kind you put a quart Mason jar on. For one quart I add 2 tbsp of sugar, molasses, honey, even Gatorade. It isnt real critical here, I just want to give them a little boost. When I can just taste the sweetness, thats enough. I only fill the waterer with the amount they will drink in a day, and I store the rest in the fridge until the next day. And yes, I let it come to room temp before giving it to them.

I just place a little of the sugar solution into their gullet with a syringe or eye dropper. Just a few drops here, dont drown the little critters. You can also simply dip their beaks in the water.

This is only done for the first day or two. By the third day it isnt needed any longer and regular water is used.
Truth is you probably dont need to do this, but I just like to.

Hope this helps.​

This goes against everything I have read and even what I believe, but if my chicks get messing with the unhatched eggs in my bator I take them out. I am a newbie to this though so my info may not be accurate.
wink.png
The first time I hatched chicks a couple of them got messing around and rolled over a couple of my eggs. One of the chicks made a pip and that is it. The pip started on the top and the other chick rolled the egg over. The chick who pipped died in the egg. I don't know if I should have rolled the egg over or not. Who knows? This second time I had eggs in the bator I got my first three chicks out when they started rolling my un-hatched eggs. I don't think I would have done this though if any of the other eggs had a pip though. Like I said though I am really new to this so I really have no experience. Just two rounds of hatching.
big_smile.png

If you had a clean hatch please do not give those chicks sugar water. They don't need it.

Plain cool water and crumbles put out is all they need. Sugar water has a laxative effect on chicks and can cause pasty butt.

Please take the sugar water away and only give it in an emergency when a chick looks like it really needs a boost of energy. Even then a chicken electrolyte in the water or honey works better than sugar.

Quote:
I haven't given mine sugar water. I don't think it's natural to do that. All of my chicks that have hatched are doing well on starter feed and water. They are soooo cute! Anyway, I don't believe in giving them anything else than their food.(Unless they were ill and then I'd give them whatever the Vet. says.). My chicks are all healthy and happy.

I agree with the last posts - the sugar water is nearly always unneccesary. By the same token, I've yet to see where it does any real harm. Call it a little insurance
smile.png

It's one of those personal choice things... like buying a CHEVY or a FORD. I wouldn't insist you do either one.

Back
Top Bottom