Over Easy Pre Fab Coops, Amish made,any good ?

Fashionfrank

Chirping
Jul 26, 2021
First off I love this site,I've been really getting an education !
I was trying to weed out the cheap coops from the better well made pre fab coops and came across this company “ easy over coops” BUT I can’t find a lot of useful reviews of their products.
I don’t mind spending the money ( with the price of lumber) for a pre fab but there’s so much junk out there so I hoping to get some feed back on this company and its coops?
Thanks in Advance Frank

I was just looking at one at our local farm store. There were three - it was the largest version there, for $1900. Almost no permanent ventilation - my cheap prefab came with as much. It wouldn't be too hard to add, though, if you're handy.
It does have windows that open, so you'd have more ventilation in good weather. However, it just had normal screening on the windows, so you'd need to add hardware cloth.
My biggest shock was how small it was. There were two long roosts inside - maybe 6' - but no space for anything else. I don't think there was room to fly up or down - they'd have to use the lower roost to get to the higher one.
I was looking because I need to expand my coop before winter for my 6 banties. The EZ coop is a little sturdier than mine, but I felt I'd be better off continuing to improve what I have.

I have the mid sized Over-EZ coop. I have had it almost 8 years now. It is holding up very well. Other than needing the paint freshened up. Everything works just like it should. The things that I like about it. Are that the roost are removable. To make cleaning easier. There is a latch to hold the nest box cover up. So less chance of smashed fingers. It has an insulated ceiling. So the radiant heat from the metal roof is not transferred inside. The thing that I don’t like about it. Is that the nest boxes are just a few inches above the floor. Which encourages young chickens to roost in the nest boxes. Also no matter the flock that I house in it. The will scratch all the nesting material out onto the floor. Within a day of it being added. So I use asto turf. The only changes that I made to it. Is to put welded wire over the windows. You will have to put it over the window trim on the outside. Otherwise you will not have access to the window latches. The fly screens would barely slow down a raccoon. Especially being able to stand on the nest boxes for easier access. I also added heat duct registers for added ventilation. Two in the front, above the windows. Plus two in the back wall, in line with the ones on the front. I also added a 42 inch wide by 12 foot long run. With the chickens having access to the run. It will house 10 to 12 bantams. I have very small OEGB. Or 6 or 7 standard fowl. I hope this helps. Mine was barely used when I bought it at an auction. I looked it up online, to get an idea how much to bid. They were $799.99 at that time. So along with building materials. They have really jumped in price.

I have the mid sized Over-EZ coop.
Where in this world are you located @Silexian ?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1628418113343.png

I've had my large Over EZ coop for 3 years.
20201118_093455_resized.jpg

I removed the nylon window screens and replaced with 1/2" hardware cloth over 1/4" to keep out most insects without clogging with dust.
20210702_131953_resized.jpg

I added 2"x 3" wide side up to keep shavings inside nests. I also put a 2"x 3" narrow side up inside pop door visible looking through nest box to keep shavings inside coop.
20181104_151140.jpg

I added ventilation above windows. I drilled 2.5" holes by carefully measuring so I don't drill into rafters. I also removed the vent covers on both ends of coop and covered all vents with 1/4" HC.
20190527_193440-2.jpg
20190527_193318-2.jpg

I keep the right window open a couple inches all winter. My Barred Rocks never got frostbite through 3 winters.
20210101_054333_resized_kindlephoto-524663.jpg

I leveled the ground and put down cement blocks and put coop on top. It has plenty of room underneath for chickens to seek shelter during the day.
20210716_095115_resized.jpg

I had up to 7 Barred Rocks in this coop for 2.5 years. I let my chickens out of coop before sunrise daily until sunset into a 200 square foot pen.
I currently have 8 LF pullets in this coop and it's maxed out IMO.
The coop is well built and heavy, I'm a guy and put it together myself, but two or more people are strongly recommended.
I bought my coop through TSC for less than the company website and got it when they had $49 dollar delivery. GC

We also have a local Amish business that makes and sells coops.
It would be best to send us a picture of what you are thinking of purchasing.
One thing about the Amish coops is that they are built for a small number of chickens but used to house too many chickens because they are typically seen as being a means of food source for eggs and chicken.

Is that what the company claims they hold or the actual numbers? :)

According to the usual guidelines, 6 standard-size chickens require at least 24 square feet of space in the coop.
The coop floor is roughly 4 feet by 6 feet. Which is 24 square feet. With an additional 42 square feet of full access run. Plus being let out to full access to my three acre backyard. Almost every evening. So the numbers I stated are what I feel is sufficient for my flock. Which even if you push the limit to 7 large fowl. Each bird has almost 9.5 square feet of total space. Which is pretty close to the recommended allowed space per bird.

The coop floor is roughly 4 feet by 6 feet. Which is 24 square feet. With an additional 42 square feet of full access run. Plus being let out to full access to my three acre backyard. Almost every evening. So the numbers I stated are what I feel is sufficient for my flock. Which even if you push the limit to 7 large fowl. Each bird has almost 9.5 square feet of total space. Which is pretty close to the recommended allowed space per bird.

Just wanted to see that clarified since, as you know, the manufacturers claim wildly exaggerated capacity based on the legal minimums for commercial birds. :)

Back
Top Bottom