Over Easy Pre Fab Coops, Amish made,any good ?

OK, that's 5x8 if those measurements don't include the nestbox or 4x8, if they do include the nestboxes. The latter is more likely because lumber comes in multiples of 4 and the company wouldn't be throwing out 3 feet of every standard 8-foot board to make a coop that's 5 feet wide in actual floor space so I strongly suspect that they're measuring the footprint on the site including the nestboxes.

4x8 is 32 square feet, enough for 8 chickens, not 20.

It is also the size of my Outdoor Brooder: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

Here's a photo of it with chickens in it so you can get some idea of how much space you'd really have:
0729212103a.jpg

BUT, the chickens in the photo are 8-week-old chicks, not adults, who will be at least twice that size. Still, I think you said you have 6 chickens, so that would be adequate space. :)

OverEZ coops have a reputation for being sturdier and better built than many purchased coops, but in addition to the size being WAY TOO SMALL for the number of birds they claim to hold, they are very poorly ventilated. The windows are cute, but the operable section is tiny and it's down low rather than up at the top where it's really needed (heat and ammonia both rise).

I don't remember if you said where you live (you can put your general location into your profile because climate matters). In my climate the 16 square feet of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation in my brooder -- double the recommended minimum -- is inadequate unless I shade the coop. If you live in an area with harsh winters you absolutely need to have your ventilation up high so that there aren't drafts on the birds and so that the warm, moist air the chickens generate can rise and escape rather than having the moisture freeze on the chickens' combs to cause frostbite.

Good luck figuring out your best option. :)

OK, that's 5x8 if those measurements don't include the nestbox or 4x8, if they do include the nestboxes. The latter is more likely because lumber comes in multiples of 4 and the company wouldn't be throwing out 3 feet of every standard 8-foot board to make a coop that's 5 feet wide in actual floor space so I strongly suspect that they're measuring the footprint on the site including the nestboxes.

4x8 is 32 square feet, enough for 8 chickens, not 20.

It is also the size of my Outdoor Brooder: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

Here's a photo of it with chickens in it so you can get some idea of how much space you'd really have:
View attachment 2791921

BUT, the chickens in the photo are 8-week-old chicks, not adults, who will be at least twice that size. Still, I think you said you have 6 chickens, so that would be adequate space. :)

OverEZ coops have a reputation for being sturdier and better built than many purchased coops, but in addition to the size being WAY TOO SMALL for the number of birds they claim to hold, they are very poorly ventilated. The windows are cute, but the operable section is tiny and it's down low rather than up at the top where it's really needed (heat and ammonia both rise).

I don't remember if you said where you live (you can put your general location into your profile because climate matters). In my climate the 16 square feet of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation in my brooder -- double the recommended minimum -- is inadequate unless I shade the coop. If you live in an area with harsh winters you absolutely need to have your ventilation up high so that there aren't drafts on the birds and so that the warm, moist air the chickens generate can rise and escape rather than having the moisture freeze on the chickens' combs to cause frostbite.

Good luck figuring out your best option. :)
Thank you very much 3 killerBs for the info .
I currently live in Rhode Island however I’m moving to North Myrtle Beach in a few weeks to property with land .
I was looking at a shed from Loews an 8 x 10 for around $1,500 and I think that would be good for about 6 to 8 correct ?https://www.lowes.com/pd/Heartland-...torage-Shed-Installation-Not-Included/4507050

Also correct about the poor venting on those prefabbed ones . I figure if I have to mod the thing then a bigger shed for less $$ might be the way to go .
Again thanks for the help, Frank

I currently live in Rhode Island however I’m moving to North Myrtle Beach in a few weeks to property with land .
I was looking at a shed from Loews 8x10 for around $1,500 a d I think that would be good for about 6 to 8 correct and also correct about the ooor venting k those prefabbed ones . I figure if I have to mod ththing then a bigger shed fir less $$ might be the way to go .
Again thanjs for the help Frank

Welcome to the Steamy Southeast!

VENTILATION will be your chickens' best friend here. An entire wall of wire won't be too much. :)

You have me laughing and while I have you if you would be so kind to answer a question.
I saw you wrote an article about small coop deep bedding and the first thing I always think of is rodents, do you have a problem with them with this type of bedding system?

You have me laughing and while I have you if you would be so kind to answer a question.
I saw you wrote an article about small coop deep bedding and the first thing I always think of is rodents, do you have a problem with them with this type of bedding system?

That's a reasonable question.

I've never had a rodent problem with my chickens. I don't know if I'm just lucky or what because even without a wire skirt around my current setup, which was always intended to be temporary, I've never seen evidence of mice anywhere in the coops or run.

That's a reasonable question.

I've never had a rodent problem with my chickens. I don't know if I'm just lucky or what because even without a wire skirt around my current setup, which was always intended to be temporary, I've never seen evidence of mice anywhere in the coops or run.
Thanks for answering I thought it would be an attractant ?

I was looking at a shed from Loews an 8 x 10 for around $1,500 and I think that would be good for about 6 to 8 correct ?https://www.lowes.com/pd/Heartland-...torage-Shed-Installation-Not-Included/4507050

Also correct about the poor venting on those prefabbed ones . I figure if I have to mod the thing then a bigger shed for less $$ might be the way to go .
Again thanks for the help, Frank
8x10 could fit a MAX of 20 birds, so you would have PLENTY of room for 6 to 8!

I got the large (15 chicken) OverEz last summer when I had only 2 fully grown black australorps. Some days they’d have to stay inside because of hawks & they seemed content to stay there all day. Now I have 7 grown hens total (3 australorps, 1 buff orp, 3 marans) and they are chubby beasts. They only have to go in for the night but whine so much before getting let out every morning that I feel bad for them. Probably because I know it’ll be stuffy and needs to be aired out before I can even go inside.

I‘ve added more ventilation holes with a 2 inch hole saw but can’t get enough ventilation in there to suit my own comfort. It’s also unsightly with the holes & patches of hardware cloth and mosquito netting that I question why I bothered getting such a good looking coop. Today I put a small box fan in 1 window to that will blow air out & will see if that helps. Both windows are always open except during cold snaps. Rain has never gotten in.

With only 1 roost, there’s a comfortable amount of space for me to move door to door but they peck and knock each other off at bedtime even though they could fit in a straight line. With 2 roosts in, they cuddle together more easily using only half the horizontal space & and no one gets knocked off. So they get the spaciousness from staggering together they need but I feel cramped when going inside plus the bottom roost gets pooped on. If I spread the roosts further apart I can’t reach far enough in to clean under them or they poop slightly on the wall.

I bought the OverEz auto coop door to go with the coop and that has not worked out. Whether it’s hot outside, cold outside, on battery, or plugged in it just freezes a third of the way constantly— so unreliable. Gotta unplug it, replug it until it completes. It also gets in the way of the built-in door so there’s no backup manual door for when the auto door fails.

My experience with the OverEZ coop might seem negative but for a 2nd beginner coop, it’s been ok enough. I wouldn’t buy a bigger version of the coop if I were to get more chickens nor will I add anymore to my existing flock if I only have this existing coop. I would like the existing coop much more with 1 roost bar & maybe 3 chickens though.

Back
Top Bottom