1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Over-enthusiastic roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Flock Leader, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    We have 2 young roosters we hatched ourselves - curious, lively, handsome birds. Problem is, I think they are beginning to get, um, sexually frustrated, for lack of a better word. Their female brood mates don't consent to be mounted, for some reason - perhaps they are too young? They are currently around 4 months old. There are some other females who flock around an older male, so they are out of bounds. So these roosters have taken it to harassing one female chick who is really way too small to be mounted. I'm afraid they might do her damage if they keep on pursuing her... is separating them my only option? All my birds normally have free range of the yard together.

Advice is much appreciated!

2. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, Time to get rid of these boys... it will just get worse...
    Your girls are picking a more mature and genetically proven Roo for their protector and father for the offspring........ The smaller girl is likely low on the pecking order and the boys will hurt her eventually.

I had 3 brothers that were in the bachlor coop and were mercyless to the other boys (yup, they didn't care if the chicken was male or female!!! they tried to mate everyone). After they went to freezer camp things settled down and all the boys get along in a more civil manner.

It may get better if you get rid of one of them? but the one left may force your mature roo to stomp him... I suggest picking a boy and a back up and getting rid of the rest.
    My 2cents
    Patricia

3. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    Thanks for replying! Basically we planned to keep 2 roosters... our first rooster is a very nice boy but we don't want all the chickens to be bred by him when season comes. So we have 3 more roosters, out of which we chose 1 - still a cockerel - and those 2 troublemakers will almost certainly be going, now that I see their behavior.

4. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I try to be tolerant of roos at that age- they're going through a huge surge of testosterone and their behavior may not reflect their future attitudes toward the ladies. BUT, I only tolerate it if they seem to be worth keeping. I'd recommend making a choice for your second boy and getting the reject gone before they hurt your poor girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by