Over mating issues?

Hi, I just joined and am a first time chicken owner, we got our 3 chooks about 4 months ago, and got a Black Australorp, a Buff Orpington, and an Easter Egger. I ordered 3 hens online, but found out a little while ago the Australorp is a rooster! We will see how it goes, but I am a little worried about over mating. Any tips or insight about this situation? The Australorp's name is Ash, the Egger is Belle, and the Orpington's name is Opal.View attachment 2429931
welcome2.jpg

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I wouldn't get more hens until you get a bigger coop. The one that they're sitting on won't fit the three you have.
Okay, thanks, we dont have a large budget for a coop and have spent a lot more than intended on their run also. Is there any companies that make bigger chicken coops for under 400 dollars? The ones I have looked at are 800 dollars and up, and we cannot afford that right now. Would we have to DIY a chicken coop?

Okay, thanks, we dont have a large budget for a coop and have spent a lot more than intended on their run also. Is there any companies that make bigger chicken coops for under 400 dollars? The ones I have looked at are 800 dollars and up, and we cannot afford that right now. Would we have to DIY a chicken coop?
Your best bet is always to build it yourself. You'll get a coop built far better and far larger for same price. Do you have an old shed on the property that you could convert into your coop?

You'd likely be better off building your own if you have some skill & tools.

Your best bet is always to build it yourself. You'll get a coop built far better and far larger for same price.
Or repurpose the shed, and modify as needed, just like Dobie suggested. If you have questions, there are a lot of people who can help on BYC.

As far as the female/male ratio, I have one cockerel with three pullets, and so far it is working out very well. Good luck and welcome!

Back
Top Bottom