Over Run With Duck Eggs

iamcuriositycat, where did you read about storing eggs in the refrigerator for 6 months? I've looked thru most sites and they all say 5-6 weeks. Anyone have info on how long you can store duck eggs?

No typo...but it was 7 months. Not 6.

"The very best way we've found to stash eggs away for long-term storage is in a sealed container at a temperature of 35° to 40°F. Their whites may become somewhat runny looking over a period of time, buteven after seven months—the cackleberries stored in this manner smell good, taste good, have a good texture, and—in short—seem "almost fresh"."

Here was the extensive study done by mother earth news about storing eggs by several different methods....
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting. It's nice to know that you can store them that long, but quite honest I wont go beyond 6 weeks. I've getting around 5 eggs per day. Can you imagine how many eggs that would be in 6 weeks or 7 months?
wink.png

For now they don't make it past 2 weeks, and my dogs get eggs on a regular basis. Cooked that is.

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting. It's nice to know that you can store them that long, but quite honest I wont go beyond 6 weeks. I've getting around 5 eggs per day. Can you imagine how many eggs that would be in 6 weeks or 7 months?
wink.png

For now they don't make it past 2 weeks, and my dogs get eggs on a regular basis. Cooked that is.

I sell all my eggs to restaurants. My girls were laying almost 2 dozen a day, and that made for some nice sales. My market is Madison, Wisconsin, where there are some progressive chefs!

As for how long you can keep the eggs, I've done quite a bit of research. Duck eggs, if washed and coated with oil, will keep for 2-3 months nicely in a fridge,longer, if you're not looking for performance eggs!. One of my customers reported that he desperately needed some eggs and found some of our eggs in his fridge that were 5 MONTHS old and they were fine. This is an experienced chef. When I process the eggs, I scrub them, coat them with olive oil, and put them in my basement until delivery, which is usually a wait of 2 weeks.

Hopefully you can find somewhere to give away your eggs; maybe a food pantry as someone suggested. Asian restaurants/groceries might be able to sell them for you, or they might use them in their cooking. They will also probably ask you if you sell your birds, as I discovered! No!

Duck eggs are a relatively new phenomenon in the food market in the US and you might find it helpful to print out a nutrient analysis comparing chicken eggs to duck eggs when you offer them for sale. Also be sure to point out the sheer size of a duck egg compared to the chicken egg and the extreme value you get from the beautiful, yet humble, duck!

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom