Over sleeping "snoring" chick

MiasMomma

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
Hi all. I have a chick who is four days old. It has been hopping around and loving life until this morning. Now, it literally falls asleep while standing up, whistles while it is breathing while sleeping (almost like a snore), and does nothing but sleep. I have tried to get it to drink and eat but it just wants to sleep. Any idea what this may be and what I can do to help it? I've moved it into it's own brooder just in case it's a spreadable thing.

Thanks!

I think I would be dipping it's beak into water, and start it on some electrolyte/ vitamin solution. You may have to put a tiny bit into the side of the beak with a dropper or syringe giving him a chance to swallow. Liquids are more important now, but wet chick crumbles or tiny bits of egg would be good to feed. Make sure his crop is not impacted, his vent is not pasted up, and that he is warm enough in the brooder. He may just now be showing signs of shipping stress.

Thank you for your reply! This is a chick that I hatched from my own flock. He's still sleeping a lot and "snoring" which could be wheezing, while he sleeps, but I did get him to drink some electrolyte and vitamin mix with a dropper, and gave him some antibiotic. He actually ate a bit last night and again this morning, and is moving around a bit more. Hopefully he comes out of it!

Back
Top Bottom