1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Overdosing Ivermectin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Patoot, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    I got the ivermectin paste for horses. I think all the girls got wormed. It was a fiasco. I don't eat bread so they've never had any. I had to make them like it because they were afraid of it. They would only eat it if I rolled it into balls. I got them to like it, but once I put the wormer on, they wouldn't touch it. So I tried their favorite treat...cherry tomatoes. I hollowed them out and put a pea size (I hope) amount in them. I separated them so I knew who got one, but one came running over and stole one from a girl I was handing one too. I chased her until she dropped it so I know she didn't get a double dose, but one of the girls may have.

Is it okay that they may have gotten a little more than pea size (because of stealing bits from each other) and one may have had a double dose? I'm paranoid now. I am cooking them eggs now and they have had yogurt today already...and I put vitamins and electrolytes in their water.

What do I watch for to know they are okay? When will they be "out of woods" if they were going to have a reaction to it?

Thanks for any reassurance that they will be okay. I had a hard time giving them something that wasn't meant for birds, but no place seems to have any bird wormer except Wazine and I already did that.

Are my babies gonna be okay?

Bree

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Your chickens will be fine...dont worry.

3. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Everyone was alive and well this morning. I was worried about them last night, but was reassured by your words in the PM so I was able to sleep. [​IMG] All four were wide-eyed and bushy-tailed today. Mixing the egg with the yogurt seemed to help, but I'll have to get them a fresh batch because I no sooner gave it to them (and they ate some) and one scratched mulch all over the top of it. Silly girl. So I'll make them a new patch without the mulch pieces later today when I get home. They'll probably eat around it anyway, but still.

Thanks again. Now I just enjoy my girls and not worry about wormies. I have DE too so I am using that in the coop. If I use it in food as preventative, do you know what the ratio should be?

Thanks again.

Bree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by