OVERGROWN BEAK

heron

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Now I know why hen had been flinging food around her coop - overgrown upper beak. She had trouble picking up the food. I never noticed the beak until now, and I feel so guilty. She's not recovering well from sour crop now, and trimming the beak is probably the last of my worries right now, but if she lives I am going to have to trim it.

I need instructions. If you clip it, what do you clip it with? Does it hurt them?

I feel like such an idiot for not noticing it before. I'm only noticing it now because I'm trying to hand feed her. (Not much luck with that, though, and it looks like she's going to die.)

Last edited:
Trimming a beak is just like trimming toe/finger nails. Use any kind of toe nail clipper. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's really like a finger nail. Only go for the light, overgrown parts. If you go too far it will hurt them and may bleed a little.
smile.png

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too....

I put a large piece of sandstone in the chicken run so they can wipe their beaks on that to keep them filed down. Don't caged house birds have a cuttlebone or something???

I bet the hen would do it herself if you gave rough surface like granite rock, sandstone (already suggested), patio block or cinder block. I was told about this early on, to be sure to give this to them. No probs.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's what I was thinking too....

I put a large piece of sandstone in the chicken run so they can wipe their beaks on that to keep them filed down. Don't caged house birds have a cuttlebone or something???

Wow I hadn't ever thought about that! Thats a great idea, And your chickens use it? prevention is way better than the cure!

Back
Top Bottom