Overhead protection netting question

I need to account for snow load
How much snow load?

Also I was reading a thread on here about someone sinking a pvc post into the ground to set their center support post in so it can be removed ahead of heavy snow storms.
This doesn't make much sense, lowering the netting would make it harder to clean off...wouldn't it?

How much snow load?

This doesn't make much sense, lowering the netting would make it harder to clean off...wouldn't it?
I'm in northeast Ohio. Snow loads around here are so variable year to year we have to plan for anything including ice and heavy wet snow. Lowering it to ground level isn't for cleaning, it's to keep the netting from breaking under the weight of it.

Snow loads around here are so variable year to year we have to plan for anything including ice and heavy wet snow. Lowering it to ground level isn't for cleaning, it's to keep the netting from breaking under the weight of it.
Eh, probably save to center support from poking a hole, but still might be vulnerable around the edges. What netting will you be using?

Yeah, I lost a 14ga 2x4 run roof this winter when we had 18" coupled with subzero temps for 2-3 days....tho I couldn't have gotten back to that run anyway. Main run was sorely bent but not kinked/broken.

I'm in northeast Ohio.
Welcome to BYC! @IW17
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1716506171991.png

2" heavy knotted from pinnon hatch. I'm less concerned with the outer edges since I'll be attaching it in a manner that should evenly distribute the load at those contact points. The center post will be bearing the brunt of it. Even if I decide down the road that it's unnecessary, or even problematic, I can fill the pipe with concrete with the post in it.

Appreciate the heads up and the welcome. I'll update my information to make it easier for everyone to help out.

To find the hypotenuse of your overhead triangle, it's Rise(^2) x Run(^2) = Hypotenuse(^2). For a 2ft rise across 24ft length, you're looking at 24.34 ft long fencing overhead. A 25x25 sheet of netting should technically work, but won't be much extra material to play with.

I think it's doable but I'd confirm with a piece of string or something - mark out the 24ft length on the ground, use a piece of string and add a 2ft rise with a stick in the middle and a couple inches extra on each side for anchoring/overlapping - then measure the string.
Technically the OP is not doing a 24 ft long slope and putting the 8 foot pole at one end. But, they're doing a 12 foot run and a 2 foot rise. so take the square root of (144 + 4) and double that. It's twice as steep of an angle. Yet, they get two hypotenuses, each 12.17, which is somehow exactly what you got with one, long, milder, slope...

Technically the OP is not doing a 24 ft long slope and putting the 8 foot pole at one end. But, they're doing a 12 foot run and a 2 foot rise. so take the square root of (144 + 4) and double that. It's twice as steep of an angle. Yet, they get two hypotenuses, each 12.17, which is somehow exactly what you got with one, long, milder, slope...
Sorry teacher, I didn't "show my work" by writing out all my equations to get that number :barnie

Back
Top Bottom