overheating meat birds??? :-(

Kdmorrill12

In the Brooder
May 28, 2020
Hey everyone so I am raising meat birds Cornish X and they are about 5 weeks old now. It has been extremely hot and humid for our area this week. 90-98 degrees everyday my mest birds are really struggling. They have a nice clean dry coop and run all shaded and have a fan also. I have a rooster who will not even move I put him in front of the fan with his own food and water but he is just flopped over.... im at a loss what more can I do to help him???
Thank you!!

Hey everyone so I am raising meat birds Cornish X and they are about 5 weeks old now. It has been extremely hot and humid for our area this week. 90-98 degrees everyday my mest birds are really struggling. They have a nice clean dry coop and run all shaded and have a fan also. I have a rooster who will not even move I put him in front of the fan with his own food and water but he is just flopped over.... im at a loss what more can I do to help him???
Thank you!!
I would be preparing to harvest him , better small than wasted.
Try frozen veggies, ice in the water
Where are you located and how many do you have,?
I know people in the south have the same issues.

Cornishx birds are really in trouble in heat! Add ice in multiple waterers, right next to the birds, and frozen watermelon slices, and maybe bring them into a cooler location if at all possible.
Try wetting this overheated bird, and dripping cool water to his beak to drink.
Some of these birds will die in good weather, of heart failure, and joint problems, and that heat is just too much.
How about their feed in cold water too?
Mary

I would be preparing to harvest him , better small than wasted.
Try frozen veggies, ice in the water
Where are you located and how many do you have,?
I know people in the south have the same issues.
I'm located in northern NH this heat is not normal for this time of the year thats why I usually try to get them done by mid June. He is only in a group with 9 others and they have plenty of room. The smaller ones(25) are in a different coop and do not seem bothered by the heat and all my layers seem fine. The group of 10 all are overheating he is the worst. :-(

Cornishx birds are really in trouble in heat! Add ice in multiple waterers, right next to the birds, and frozen watermelon slices, and maybe bring them into a cooler location if at all possible.
Try wetting this overheated bird, and dripping cool water to his beak to drink.
Some of these birds will die in good weather, of heart failure, and joint problems, and that heat is just too much.
How about their feed in cold water too?
Mary
Thank you i will try anything at this point. This heat is not normal for right now and I have never had this issue in years past.

This has been an exceptional heat wave here too, and I'm glad that we didn't get meat birds last month! I't cooled down to merely 'warm' here, on the way to 'cooler', so you should get some relief soon too.
Meanwhile, all the best with these poor little guys.
Mary

This has been an exceptional heat wave here too, and I'm glad that we didn't get meat birds last month! I't cooled down to merely 'warm' here, on the way to 'cooler', so you should get some relief soon too.
Meanwhile, all the best with these poor little guys.
Mary
Thank you!!

Our meat chicks have been suffering through this heat as well. I put out a gallon of ice water in a bucket and they all sit around and drink out of it. Yesterday I also misted them. If they are really struggling, take a big bucket of ice water and dip them each in it. You need to get their legs and breast cooled. Misting the ground also helps but this may not be possible if your chicks are on bedding inside. We pasture-raise ours. It goes without saying that they need to be out of the sun and have plenty of airflow.

He seems to be enjoying his cool bath now back in front of the fan he goes.

Attachments

• 20200528_170858.jpg
    20200528_170858.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 8
Thank you!!
I see in your profile it says Northern New Hampshire. How have you had temps that high? Unless your now located some place else. You should really pay attention to your location when you pick the times to raise your meat birds. Keeping the air moving is about all you can do. A/C would work 🤣

Back
Top Bottom