overlapping batches??

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I kind of have one going right now. I have 8 silkie eggs (only 3 look like they are developing) that are on day 12 and another 8 silkie that are on day 7 (all seem to be developing so far). I wanted to get some Ameracauna eggs but my husband wants me to wait until the silkies hatch. I figure if I discard the clear eggs I can fit the Ameracaunas in. His point is that if one of the silkies hatch is messy it might mess up the developing eggs
hmm.png

I see his point but I am trying to figure a way to contain the silkies on one side. I just don't want to wait another couple of weeks when it's even hotter and I may not be able to get my eggs. So is it a bad idea to overlap another set?
barnie.gif

Thanks
Krista

Do you have a second bator to put them in when day 18 rolls around so you can up the humidity?

It would be best to have a second bator. I don't think you should have eggs in one bator on different days. There is no way to keep the humidity at the correct level, and you are going to encourage bacteria to grow in the incubator from the mess from the first hatch.
smile.png

I'm working on that, gotta sneak that in
tongue.png
. Hopefully the kids won't tattle on me, especially since they wanted the silkies
big_smile.png

Some people do staggered hatches all the time... As long as you have a second incubator for them to go into on day 18 you should be fine but remember if you do stick the 3rd group in you will have to clean and disinfect the second bator for use with the 2nd batch of eggs...

Back
Top Bottom