Overly amorous rooster in the morning?

Nnyuu

Songster
Mar 23, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I have an 8 month old barred rock rooster that is wonderful in every way except one - as soon as I let him and the girls out of the coop in the morning he is very er, forceful in his attentions. The poor hens can't even get to breakfast before he starts, and some of them seem to stay in the coop until he calms down. Is this normal? Is it because he is still fairly young? Something to be concerned about or not so much? He has 9 hens. He mates with them throughout the day, but never as aggressively as in the morning.

Is this normal?
Yes.
Is it because he is still fairly young?
Yes.
Something to be concerned about or not so much?
No.

He's a cockerel and hasn't learned much restraint. The roosters like to puff up and herd the hens in the mornings but for mine at least, not too much mating happens. Sometimes if a hen doesn't submit or otherwise acknowledge him properly he will chase her all over the place.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

He's a cockerel and hasn't learned much restraint. The roosters like to puff up and herd the hens in the mornings but for mine at least, not too much mating happens. Sometimes if a hen doesn't submit or otherwise acknowledge him properly he will chase her all over the place.
Thank you! I just feel so bad for them. Like darn, just let them get some breakfast first, buddy! 🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom