Overnight turkey housing?

ephiemarie

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 12, 2013
My 3 heritage breed poults are about 9 weeks old and fully feathered. I’d like to begin transitioning them to sleeping outdoors in the 4x4 pallet “hut” I built for them. The structure has a plywood floor, roof, and lockable doors, and 2 roosting boards. Someone suggested I wrap it in plastic or a tarp to cut down on drafts.

Our low overnight temps this week are about 50 degrees. Do I need to run a heat lamp to the hut? And do I leave food and water in it overnight?

As the birds grow, I’ll likely purchase a shed to use for their overnight coop, for now they’re stuck with the pallet hut.

My 3 heritage breed poults are about 9 weeks old and fully feathered. I’d like to begin transitioning them to sleeping outdoors in the 4x4 pallet “hut” I built for them. The structure has a plywood floor, roof, and lockable doors, and 2 roosting boards. Someone suggested I wrap it in plastic or a tarp to cut down on drafts.

Our low overnight temps this week are about 50 degrees. Do I need to run a heat lamp to the hut? And do I leave food and water in it overnight?

As the birds grow, I’ll likely purchase a shed to use for their overnight coop, for now they’re stuck with the pallet hut.
A 4'x4'x4'? shed is awfully small even for 3 heritage variety poults. I would expect them to roost on top of the "hut" rather than go in it.

They do not need heat and it is not necessary to supply food and water overnight.

A 4'x4'x4'? shed is awfully small even for 3 heritage variety poults. I would expect them to roost on top of the "hut" rather than go in it.

They do not need heat and it is not necessary to supply food and water overnight.

Thank you! They currently sleep indoors in a large wire dog crate. The little hut outside is a little bigger, but I know it won’t fit them for very long. The hut is inside a 15x20’ fenced area with buried fencing and bird netting covering the entire thing. Should I just leave them loose in there overnight with the hut doors open so it’s an option for them? They have never willingly entered the hut during daytime hours and, like you said, much prefer to sit on top of it.

Thank you! They currently sleep indoors in a large wire dog crate. The little hut outside is a little bigger, but I know it won’t fit them for very long. The hut is inside a 15x20’ fenced area with buried fencing and bird netting covering the entire thing. Should I just leave them loose in there overnight with the hut doors open so it’s an option for them? They have never willingly entered the hut during daytime hours and, like you said, much prefer to sit on top of it.
If your pen is predator proof, there is no reason to force them into the "hut" for the night.

My adult turkeys spend their nights on their outside roosts in all kinds of weather. Unfortunately the run their roosts are in, is not predator proof. I have not lost an adult turkey to predators when they are on their roosts. My young turkeys are however susceptible to Great Horned Owls which is why they don't get to roost outside at night.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom