Overnight Watering Solutions

YarrowFarms

Chirping
Jul 6, 2022
NE NC
I have the same problem as every other duck owner in the world. Keeping them watered without having to change the bedding every dang day. I only need to water overnight because they have free access to a creek and small pond during the day. They get food at night to bribe them into their coop. I'm thinking, since it's night time, if I can section off a small part of their coop just for food and water, would a large dog bowl work? They'll (hopefully) be sleeping most of the time, and I usually let everyone out fairly early. It'll be 12 ducklings, once everyone is big enough to go out, then whittled down to one Drake and the hens by winter. Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm looking for something I can pick up or make ourselves. Thanks!

My seven runners are out and about during the day, along with (too) many chickens and two geese. To get them into the coop at night, I also bribe my ducks with food.

They tend to sleep at one end -- it's 3 foot wide and 10 foot long. At the opposite end, I have a large, glazed terra cotta saucer for their food and a large dog bowl for their water. The dish is big enough for everyone to drink, but not large enough for bathing. I put a plastic boot tray under the water dish to reduce the mess.

Of course, since they are ducks, it's impossible to keep things clean all of the time :).

I tried to give my Runners water over night when they moved outside it was a nightmare. Boy are they messy my Muscovy look like the perfect Emily post poster child compared to my slobs(excuse me Runners) I had a tote cut a hole in the top just big enough to put a head through thought okay this will work put a heated bucket in sitting up on bricks perfect for these ducks no mess hardly? Right, next day they had somehow gotten their whole bedding sopped and it was frozen. What a mess. Well they have never had water or feed inside sense and I haven’t lost a one. Once they are ready to be outside in the coop they can go over night without food and water.

I would suggest not offering food or water overnight in the duckhouse. I've never heard of a truly workable solution that didn't lead to a mess. We have a predator proof run connected to our duckhouse, so most nights we don't lock them up the duckhouse, and they have access to food and water in the run, but when we do have to lock them in the duckhouse, they do fine without water so long as they also don't have food.

I only offer water at night when I have young birds, or its really freaking hot out (like right now). Like lows in the mid 80s at night. My husband built a "water box" that was built for a de-icer in the winter, but its also been useful in the summer with keeping them watered without them swimming in it. Basically a rubbermaid shallow tub that sits in a wooden box. It has a lid on the wooden box so they can't get in it, but they can dunk their whole heads in it. It still makes a mess, but is the least messy so far.
So far its my favorite "indoor" (inside the pen) watering solution. They have all sorts of plastic pools and other watering solutions outside.

Late post but I also have to feed in the coop to bribe them in! They have auto doors and will stay outside all night if their food is outside:( did you find any solution?

Late post but I also have to feed in the coop to bribe them in! They have auto doors and will stay outside all night if their food is outside:( did you find any solution?
I use a chick feeder for their kibble and a medium sized dog bowl for their water. It works well, and the greedy little buggers certainly know when dinner time is. I can hear them hollering from their run if the sun goes down before I get out there, or if they're free ranging that day they'll quack up a storm at my front door until they're fed.
I think the best thing I've got with our setup is that the floor of their coop is coated hardware cloth. It holds the straw I use for their bedding well, while allowing the spilt food and water to slip under the coop. It's on wheels and the next morning the bantams and other smallish chickens get a nice snack from the ducks' leftovers.

Right now, I keep the 2 of them in a large dog crate with straw. The solution for the water situation (as I read that they should not go more than 9 hours without water) is to hang the stainless steel dog waterer, which is deep but narrow on the side of the crate. They have not figured out how to knock it off and often there is a bit left by morning (usually at 9:00). They still get the straw wet but not so much. Their poop is more firm and easier to pull off (with doggies bags) too.

Is the water for their beak and feathers or for their drinking? There are the automatic cups that only work if they press on it not the nipples for chickens but cups.

Attachments

• 5900245B-F71C-4091-94E9-7E5FA86A1F29.png
    5900245B-F71C-4091-94E9-7E5FA86A1F29.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom