Overprotective Turkey Hen

ACros89

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2022
I recently got a Lakenvelder Hen and tried to introduce her to my flock of chickens and one turkey hen overnight. All went well until the next morning. My turkey has a chick she adopted and hatched, and she is insanely protective of this kid. So, she immediately took the new hen as a threat. She grabbed her by the neck and shook her. She has injured one of my hens previously, so this was enough for me to separate the new hen. How do I stop the turkey hen’s overly aggressive behavior? She’s so protective that she doesn’t even let her “chick” outside that much and if it is, she keeps it from eating anything from me or being near any other hen, except the chicks real mom. Any advice??? She’s driving me crazy! (Pictured is my turkey hen, and her “baby”! The chick doesn’t have to walk if he doesn’t want to.)

Attachments

• E2E893AF-8F91-4D78-9450-0EEA419513D7.jpeg
    E2E893AF-8F91-4D78-9450-0EEA419513D7.jpeg
    737.5 KB · Views: 28
The simple answer is that the one turkey hen should not be mixed in with the chickens. She would do best in a separate enclosure with turkeys of her own kind.
I'm guessing there's some reason you don't have that kind of set up already, though.

I recently got a Lakenvelder Hen and tried to introduce her to my flock of chickens and one turkey hen overnight. All went well until the next morning. My turkey has a chick she adopted and hatched, and she is insanely protective of this kid. So, she immediately took the new hen as a threat. She grabbed her by the neck and shook her. She has injured one of my hens previously, so this was enough for me to separate the new hen. How do I stop the turkey hen’s overly aggressive behavior? She’s so protective that she doesn’t even let her “chick” outside that much and if it is, she keeps it from eating anything from me or being near any other hen, except the chicks real mom. Any advice??? She’s driving me crazy! (Pictured is my turkey hen, and her “baby”! The chick doesn’t have to walk if he doesn’t want to.)
Turkey hens can be fiercely protective of their brood. Even in a flock of turkeys a new "mama" can be a terror to other turkeys.

A turkey and her brood should not be in the general population until her brood are at least two weeks old.

As @Isadora pointed out your only option is to remove the hen and the little one and give them their own space.

The simple answer is that the one turkey hen should not be mixed in with the chickens. She would do best in a separate enclosure with turkeys of her own kind.
I'm guessing there's some reason you don't have that kind of set up already, though.
She was purchased as a mate for our male turkey, who was in the enclosure with our chickens. He has since passed away. I’m thinking of getting her previous mate, from the farm where I bought her, and setting them up in their own coop.

Back
Top Bottom