Overrun by roos...

bobzant

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
Perry, IL
i have more roos than i know what to do with, theyre tearing eachother and the hens apart. idk what to do, i cant kill them, and i doubt anyone wants beat up looking roosters. please help....
hit.gif

Time to put an ad on craigslist, find a local auction if there are any in your area, or find a processor to do the deed for you. Until you can find someone to take them do a favor for your hens and confine them in a separate area.

There is craigslist, also eBay has a local classified to sell/rehome animals, oodle.com, recycler.com, pennnysaver has an online free ad section too. I would be honest in the ads, say what you said here, many will want them for food. I have rehomed dozens of roosters for my neighbor who hates killing, and a couple of my own, many meaner then the day is long. Some became dinner, some breeders, etc. You may be surprised. One local guy here is always seeking free roosters, he cleans them and puts them in a dehydrator and makes them into dog treats. Good luck :)

That happened to me, a couple of years ago. I hatched an incubator filled with eggs and it was so much fun that I did it again....and again....and again
jumpy.gif
. Long story short, I ended up with more than 30 cockerels
ep.gif
. I bought some killing cones, a sharp knife and learned to do the deed, myself. It was really hard at first but got easier as time went by because I would snatch up a bully while it was attacking another rooster and take it to my killing area (set up in my cellar). It went pretty quickly for them and I was being much gentler, with them, than they were just being to the other rooster.

That happened to me, a couple of years ago. I hatched an incubator filled with eggs and it was so much fun that I did it again....and again....and again
jumpy.gif
. Long story short, I ended up with more than 30 cockerels
ep.gif
. I bought some killing cones, a sharp knife and learned to do the deed, myself. It was really hard at first but got easier as time went by because I would snatch up a bully while it was attacking another rooster and take it to my killing area (set up in my cellar). It went pretty quickly for them and I was being much gentler, with them, than they were just being to the other rooster.
I think I am headed in this direction right now. I have 14 moth old chicks which will likely result in at least 7 or more roos. I also have 32 eggs in the incubator that when they hatch will more than double that number. I don't know if I want to feed that many cockrels to get them to a size worth processing. I am hoping craigslist will find homes for them.

Find an auction and make some money. That is what I did 13 chickens and 2 ducks got 105$ after their commission.

While looking into all of the great advice given so far, you may want to consider picking your most aggressive roos out and keeping them separate from the rest of the flock (but you can keep them together).

Back
Top Bottom