Overweight chihuahaus. Some Questions...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Oct 8, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    So my grandma has two chihuhuas. Both are males and they are both 6 years old. One is a long haired chihuhua and the other one is a short haired.
    The short haired one weighs 10 lbs and the longhaired weighs 13 pounds (may even weigh more, this is what she has told me...)
    They are both overweight. They look like barrels. They don't get much excersise. They don't get along with my dogs. She said they are on weight control dog food. She feeds them each 1 raw egg in the morning along with a bowl of dog food and carrots after. She gives them lots of treats throughout the day. She even will give them ice cream. Then at dinner time she will feed them more table scraps and another bowl of dog food with corn in it. There poop is all yellow, I assume it is from all of the corn.
    My questions include:
    How much excersise should they be getting a day?
    How much should they each eat a day?
    What do you recommend as a diet for these dogs?
    How many meals should they eat a day?
    How much should they each weigh?

Please don't post things like,"Your grandma isn't a responsible dog owner" ect. My grandma LOVES these dogs and these dogs LOVE her. I am just trying to teach my grandma what she should and shouldn't be feeding these dogs. So please, think of what you say before you hit the 'Submit' button.

Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    She should cut way back on the people food. Chihuahuas are so tiny, they don't need so much, and even a little people food will throw their bodies for a loop.

Mine never really exercised. She wandered around the house, and ran around outside a few times a day, but never chased balls or sticks, lol

Diet, I just fed mine crunchy bites and bones, they seemed like a good size for her.

She always had food out, and only ate when she was hungry. But, since these boys are overweight, she should try feeding them twice a day, and only the amount recommended on the bag.

I think the show weight for a C was no more than 6 pounds? Mine was heavier, about 7.5. But, she wasn't overweight, I don't think.

I would ask her to save the carrots for rewards, like for going potty outside. And then, only give partial ones, so they only get a couple a day. And, maybe instead of giving them bowls of ice cream, let them lick her bowl when she's done with hers.

It's hard to change bad habits, hopefully she can do some baby steps to help her boys.

3. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    A pair of healthy chihuahuas will exercise each other. The answer is in their diet. The idea of weight control dog food has always seemed really odd to me. Tell her to feed only the amount on the bag of REGULAR kibble broken into 2 meals and add nothing else. If she wants to treat them, raw veggies or tiny ( a measuring teaspoon) amounts of meat or egg are good choices. Remind her that the treat is in the taste, not the amount. Maybe you could gently discuss the fact that she'll have lean dogs much longer than heavy ones. She may want to give them extra affection or hidden food surprise toys to distract them until they make new habits.

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:the amount on the bag is a good starting point, but you have to adjust for the dog's individual metabolism. If the dog is looking a bit heavy, feed less. If they are looking a little thin, feed more.
    Since they are used to eating a LOT of food, you can ease them into the new diet by adding green beans (no salt added ones) to their kibble. This will give them more bulk to fill up their stomachs.

Also, feed a quality dog food, something without a lot of fillers. More of the food will actually be used by the dogs, instead of being turned straight into poo.

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I would definitely cut the people food. And no more corn!! Also, smaller portions of a high quality dog food would do wonders. Any grain products in their food would turn right to fat. As someone else mentioned, green beans and carrots would help fill them up. that isn't a species appropriate food, however, so don't overdo it. Good luck! [​IMG]

6. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    No people food, and a grain free diet.
    A bag of Taste of the Wild would last them a very long time.
    At least 3 months.
    So the initial cost is not bad at all, and they will eat less as well.

7. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    all the diet advice in the world isn't gonna stop your grandma from feeding them her way.. you can buy the special food and you'll think shes feeding the right stuff and in 3 months you'll see thy haven't lost weight.. Weight on a chihuahua is tough, its bad on their knees especially.. short walks would be good even for grandma if she is able.. if she is wheelchair bound maybe you take her and the dogs on a walk.. let them walk beside her until you notice they are stressed from walking then let them ride back. depending on them individually too not all chihuahua's are tiny little dogs, there are larger chihuahua's out there yup even 10 lbs is normal.... and if their bone structure can handle the weight and they seam healthy let grand ma spoil her dogs, as long as they are not taking food away from her.. let her be happy. cause your not going to change her.. found that out with my mom.. and ya know thats ok.. if shes happy and they are healthy abide the weight.. Be HaPPY ..

good luck
    )O(

8. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Aye, as others have said, you might not be able to get her to change the diet. You might...at least the main diet, but I suspect the table scraps will still be slipped under the table. That said, less food, better quality food, and an increase in walks are all good starting places.

Just a note, but my cattle dog had terrible diarrhea and eventually refused to eat Taste of the Wild, something I have heard reported in other dogs since looking into it. Sometimes it takes a bit of searching to find a brand that works well with the individual dog, even if others do great on the same brand.

And I'm not familiar with chihuahuas, so I'm not sure the answer to your specific questions.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    This reminds me of James Herriot's stories of Mrs. Pumphrey and her dog, Trickiwoo. His advice was what everyone else has said: Cut way back or stop altogether on the people food.

My Aussies don't like Taste of the Wild either, punk-a-doodle. And it gave them really bad gas. Right now we buy them Harmony Farms Natural dog food, and they love it.

Anyway, wishing your grandmother (and you!) luck in helping out her chihuahuas, Sunny! [​IMG]

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I wish you luck in convincing your grandma to treat her pooches in a healthier manner, but it sounds like she shows them love through food (lots of folks do that, with pets AND family members). The only angle you might try is that they will be healthier, and therefore around much longer if they are at a healthy weight. The carrots are great for treats. It doesn't sound like these dogs can be free fed - I'd recommend 2x a day feedings, and put up what they don't eat in 15 minutes or so until the next feeding. People food/scraps have got to be cut out. Canned greenbeans were recommended by my vet as a filler if my golden still seemed hungry after her food was gone. Good luck in trying to change your G'ma's views. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by