Overwhelmed chicken newbie

My advice would be to read through conflicting information and then decide which course of action suits you and your management style.

Excellent advice! And when you're still confused, scout around and see if you can find a scientific study that helps you to sort through the conflict.

I guess my first concern is keeping the chicks warm enough. We'll be starting them in the house but there seems to be varying opinions on the best way to keep them warm. The heating plate looks awesome but seems rather pricey, lamps is what I originally thought we would use but that doesn't seem too popular on here. The diy heating pad tunnel seems like a good option but how do you regulate the temperature? I had read that you are supposed to reduce the temperature by 5° a week, but how do you do that with a heating pad?

Sunbeam XPress has multi level heat settings, and is machine washable, and if you do an Amazon search, you can find price ranges as well as zoom in to see the control switches which have a "stay on" and a "2 hour" setting. For your flock size, I recommend the XL (12 x 24"). I've done heat lamps, and after trying the MHP method, will never go back to a heat lamp unless I'm brooding more than 50 chicks at a time. My chicks are brooded in an outdoor grow out coop. I start the heat setting fairly high, and decrease it as they grow. They let me know when I'm keeping the MHP too warm. If it's just right, they go under it to stay warm. If it's too warm under there, they hang out on top of it, or beside it, or bed down in an opposite corner of the brooder. By the time they are 4 weeks old, they rarely use it, and have completely weaned themselves off it by the age of 4 - 5 weeks, even with outside night temps dipping down to 20's to 30's.

FYI, chick dander is a horrid mess to have in the house. Imagine a fine oily silt which covers every surface, including vertical ones! For your brooder, if you do brood in the house, there is nothing easier than a cardboard appliance box. By the time your chicks are 2 - 3 weeks old, it's recommended that the brooder provide 2 - 3 s.f. per chick.

Other topics to look at: deep litter management in coop and run, fermented feed.

Thank you Lazy Gardener! Your information has been unbelievably helpful. I am picking up an appliance box from Lowe's and the brooder will be kept in a large bathroom to make cleanup as easy as possible. On your recommendation, I have ordered a Sunbeam heating pad from Amazon. I am blown away by how friendly and helpful everyone from BYC has been so far. Thank you again!

Hello everyone!
My family is new to chickens and talked into taking on this project by my 11 year old daughter. Our chicks have not arrived yet, but I am already stressed about what we have gotten ourselves in to. I'm sure that it will work out fine, but there just seems to be so much conflicting information out there that I'm confused about what is the right way to do things. But, that is why I'm here! A friend who has been raising chickens for a few years recommended this site. Ok, enough about my anxiety and back to the questions. We have ordered 15 chicks from a hatchery. We will be getting Black Australorps, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Barred Rock, and Buff Orpingtons. Besides giving in to every crazy idea my daughter has, my only other hobby is horses. We have two Arabian geldings that my youngest daughter and I both show. The horses are my best buddies, my stress relievers, and where most of my pay check goes . My husband and I have 4 children, 2 of which are still at home. Our house is also occupied by an overly attached German Shepherd, a psychotic black cat, and a slightly overweight bunny.
I look forward to chatting with you all and soaking up all of your chicken wisdom
Welcome!!! BYC has been a very welcome fountain of information and support in my backyard chicken infancy. You're definitely in the right place for all things chicken!

Back
Top Bottom