Overwhelmed with indecision...

airen

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 21, 2012
Ok. So I'm in the research stage... and I know what kind of coop DH is building. I am almost positive the breed I want, depending on what's available (6 Anconas and 6 Minorcas... but feel free to add a two pence of advice).

We rent on a farm, and have some wonderful people as landlords. So I keep going back and forth with dual purpose or not. We originally wanted to do this because we go through a crazy amount of eggs and live an hour from a grocer.

Honestly, if I wasn't afraid the rooster wouldn't wake the three neighbors I have, it wouldn't be an issue. So, I ask-- is it that bad? Would we be better off just buying day-olds and doing the processing ourselves? Is that even worth the price/work after feed and all?

I err on the side of being a good neighbor. My neighbors are awesome and forgiving- particularily if there are some eggs/fresh meat in it for them :)

Let me know if you need any info. I'm not being vague/obtuse on purpose. I'm just not sure what all you may need :)

If your worried about rooster and primarily in it for egg then just get females. You don't need a rooster.

There are many nice dual purpose breeds. You've chosen egg layers but if you change to a dual breed for want of meat then straight run chicks would be ok. If you keep the roosters separate from females when older they don't get as aggressive or crow much, the males can be processed at 16 to 20 weeks.

We started researching for just eggs... but the more I think about it, the more going all in makes sense. We're out here, we have the room, and goodness knows we have the bellies :D

If we went meat birds, I'd probably have a whole separate set up... my brain compartmentalizes things. And it's be easier to not "meet the meat" and get attached.

I would go for a dual purpose bird because from what I've read they have more personality than egg laying breeds. Ours are dual purpose and they hardly ever miss a day.

You might ask your neighbors what they think about having a rooster near by. Maybe they wouldn't mind! A good rooster is awfully fun, and really looks after his ladies.

Have fun on your big adventure!

Back
Top Bottom