overzealous cockerel

chickmamato7

Songster
Aug 13, 2020
Rochester, NY
My 20 week old cockerel has reached maturity and is crowing incessantly and aggressively neck-grabbing my still maturing pullets (I have 6). I have not witnessed any successful attempts to mount-- just screaming pullets, flapping and frantically running away as he maintains his grasp on their necks. I'm worried that he may injure one of my girls with his overzealous behavior. Is such aggression normal in the beginning, and will he settle down as he matures? He is a huge Bielefelder and some of my pullets are dainty Crevecoeurs. I'm not as worried about the SLW's, because they are meatier and have always bullied him (so they kinda deserve what they are getting!)

Also, can I expect his crowing to diminish a bit as he ages, or "it is what it is" once it starts? The neighbors aren't complaining yet, but I am getting worried, since it can start as early as 5AM.

Right now he is just like a horny, clumsy teenager boy trying to figure things out. As long as he is not causing serious injury, I would let things be. He will learn as he matures. As far as the crowing, that’s difficult to predict. He may calm down a little, he may crow all the time. If you have other roosters or neighbors with roosters, the crowing will probably be more frequent.

Thanks! There are no other roosters or chickens nearby, so no worries there. He was very quiet and calm up until the last few weeks when the pullets began showing some red. I'm hopeful he will calm down with maturity.

Thanks! There are no other roosters or chickens nearby, so no worries there. He was very quiet and calm up until the last few weeks when the pullets began showing some red. I'm hopeful he will calm down with maturity.
He will... he’s just needs everyone to know what a big man he is now! The word “cocky” was invented because of this lol 😝

I'm worried that he may injure one of my girls with his overzealous behavior. Is such aggression normal in the beginning, and will he settle down as he matures?
He might hurt them, especially if he's chasing them down.
If they say 'no', he should back off pretty quickly.
He might settle down, hopefully before he hurts them.
But.
It might be best to separate him for a time.

How much space do you have, in feet by feet, in coop and run?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.
The pullets need to be able to get away from him...and also eat and drink in peace.

The run is 12'X16', with plenty of open space and nooks for hiding. The girls are agile and fly well, while my cockerel is big and clumsy and prefers to stay down on the ground. He's not persistent in chasing them down at this point. It usually only happens 2-3x a day (early morning and just before bed), when he grabs a girl by the neck and attempts (unsuccessfully) to mount her. She squawks loudly and flaps away & then he tries to grab another, with the same outcome. Typically, he complains, puffs up & flaps his wings, then gives up after kicking his feet a few times.

My Wyanadottes are nearly as big as he is and are pretty aggressive, so they can take care of themselves. It's my sweet little Crevecoeurs that I worry about, mostly because of the size difference and how docile they are.

I'm home for the next two weeks and am keeping a close eye on things. I noticed today that he was being more respectful of the ladies and also has a new peck mark on his wattle, so maybe the Wyandottes are setting him straight without interference. You will notice a very quick attempt in the feeder video, which ended quickly and peacefully without the usual neck grab following refusal. The final clip shows that even the Crevecoeurs will hold their ground when it comes to feeding beside him, behaving cautiously, but not traumatized.

Attachments

• IMG_5355.jpg
    IMG_5355.jpg
    748.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5356.jpg
    IMG_5356.jpg
    837.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5357.jpg
    IMG_5357.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom