ow soon do roos show roo behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sueandthe6, Oct 26, 2014.

1. sueandthe6

sueandthe6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    southeast Pa
    I am working on integrating two 8+/- week old chicks into my flock of 7 hens. However, I saw some behavior that makes me wonder if I will even need too. I have been keeping the chicks confined inside the run with the girls so they get to know each other a bit. Today I left the chicks out to roam with the big girls. At one point after the one leghorn had harassed the chicks--the chicks began "fighting" with each other. Not seriously- just pay fighting I think- but both threw their feet up at each other. Will pullets ever do this or is this the final red flag that they are both roos? I have been thinking one and one- and some here agreed while some though both roos. I thought I remembered someone saying the partridge cochin roos get black breasts and these two are certainly still patterned but I could remember wrong or maybe they just aren't there yet? How soon will a roo start trying to crow or "sparing" with other roos? I used to raise rabbits so I know that girls can sometimes show male behaviors but didn't know how true that was for chickens.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Both pullets and cockerels will posture and 'play' fight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by