Owl or chupicabra? -Predator identification needed UPDATE ON POST ONE

I have a six month old coonhound in training in houston. She was raised with chickens, is penned with chickens, and is almost ready to come home. Guess I'll just get her out early.

No offense, but the average six month old coonhound wouldnt stand a prayer against a grown coon. I have seen 1 grown boar coon make several grown hounds back up....likely will just whip your pup and walk off...possibly ruin the pup in the meantime

Saw the title of this thread and thought "Great....now I have to add cryptids to the list of predators I have to protect against?!?"
big_smile.png

Quote:
DH says use a deadfall or a box for a coon. Or a bullet if you happen to be there at the right time. Being a tripod oughta slow him down.
Good luck!

I have a live trap set with marshmellows and other sweets just outside of the pen. I'm going to sit in the shed (which you can clearly see the run from) tonight with the .22 and wait. I've done this before waiting on animals, they never have seen me before. Oh! I also have a trail of sardines leading to a pen that he can push into, but won't be able to squeeze out of. Borrowed it from the neighbors.

New culrit has been found. I tagged a Mama cat with her six kittens earlier. She's my neighbors missing cat, I told them she was here and if I caught her with a bird she wouldn't make it home. This isn't the first time she's bee down here hunting my birds. They didn't seem fazed. If it is that cat, I'm halfway worried about also having to get her wild kittens. At least trap them somehow... They looked about two months old, maybe three, and there was at least five or six of them.

Also, I have decided against getting Annie from the trainer. He was afraid I'd ruin a good dog, and mentioned the same thing that was mentioned earlier about a boar getting ahold of her. Said he's seen coons her size, which would need at least four ADULT dogs and a rifle to take down. So she's safe. She'll continue her training until next spring, if he doesn't buy her from me as was discussed today.

So, I'll update later tonight or tomorrow first thing if anything is spotted or otherwise.

Coon love strawberry licorice, grape cool-aid and they also love vanilla extract...spray extract around (put it in a spray bottle) and spray it on a vanilla wafer and put it in the life trap....I have yet had a coon I couldnt catch with those three things....

Back
Top Bottom