Owls A threat?

We must take care to distinguish between owl species. Threats posed differ greatly and management options likewise.

Great horned and barred very different and some may have other species such as longeared and screech owls.

Coopandchickens018.jpg

This is my pen set up.

Feral cats likes to walk on the top of the paneling however woe to the cat if it falls into the net, it would tangle up in it and a very MAD cat! Glad for the .22 because trapped cats and one coon will NOT settle down and they DO tear up the net but hard to do so if they are so tightly wrapped. Since then, I have not any more incidents of animals getting trapped in the net. They would burrow or find a weak panel and go for it. I am lucky if I get one or two losses a year, mostly juvies. Big problem I have are sewer rats, they are so good about getting into anything. I've had good success in getting rat poison inside of a PVT pipe or shoved it ounder the coop. Now I wont be able to do it as much because we put a new floor in (as I posted in the coops section). PVC would be the thing to do or put it behind the coop where the panel is on the west side, not accessable to anything except mice.

I do not kill owls, hawks because of the strict laws prohibiting killing them. They do have their purpose and my responsbility to keep the girls locked up tight every night because there is a gap now on the bottom run. We do have neighbor's dogs across the street, behind me and two doors down. Coons have made their appearances so has possums....those UGLY things!

(yelling) Hubby, time to bring out the reinforcements!!!!!
cool.png

Great horned owl = major threat to poultry, cats and even small dogs. (Skunks happen to be one of their favorite foods,) I would welcome the barred owl. Although they might take an immature chicken, they are worth their weight in gold for rodent control. The only owl more valuable for that function is the barn owl. Your mature hens are safe from that owl.

Barred owls can be a threat but typicallythey go after smaller game Great horned owls are complete and utter jerks who are smarter then the average bear I have 2 GH owls that know how to lift my tractors up I had to buy tent stakes to keep em down heres a cell picof my 2 GH owls who really love my chicken and guinea buffet.
IMG00054.jpg
I hate them with a passion But I have to sit and watch them roost in my barn I do run them out everytime I see them but they just keep coming back. this pic shows no justice but these 2 are huge I am currently working on getting a licence to shot these guys until then its sit and wait kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom