Oxen Farmers Help

cheeptrick

Songster
12 Years
May 1, 2007
New Hampshire
Our local town and mascot has to be put down...we are looking for a 'companion' retired Simmental Ox so his partner does not have to be put down as well. Please contact Anika Clark if you are in the New England area and have knowledge of a retired oxen available.
Swanzey braces for loss of one of town’s mascots

Buck of “Buck and Ike” fame is shown at his home field in Swanzey in December 2009. Buck has been diagnosed with cancer, and his prognosis is not good.

Buck the ox has cancer, and people worry Ike will be lonely
By Anika Clark
Sentinel Staff
Published: Wednesday, February 10, 2010
SWANZEY — The town of Swanzey is getting ready to bid a sad farewell to one of its biggest characters.

Buck — a roughly 3,000-pound Simmental ox and half of the locally famous bovine duo Buck and Ike — has cancer.

Buck’s squamous cell carcinoma has left him with polyp-like growths in his eyes — a condition that’s persisted despite surgery and will only be irritated by warm-weather flies, according to Swanzey resident Victoria Reck Barlow.

“It’s pretty likely that we’re going to have to say goodbye,” said Barlow, who calls herself Buck and Ike’s “personal assistant” along with Swanzey resident Jeanne M. Thieme.

Exactly how long Buck has left is unknown. In the meantime, “Our priority is Buck and his quality of life,” Thieme said. “We’re kind of hanging in the balance there right now, but we’re prepared.”

Swanzey’s love affair with Buck and Ike began in recent years when townspeople banded together to raise money to care for the hulking animals, which Swanzey farmer Mike Johnson had “inherited” from a friend.

In 2007, during the “Bale Out Buck and Ike” fundraising campaign, Barlow described Johnson’s failed attempt to to sell the animals to a former cowboy actor from the 1970s mini-series “Centennial.”

“These are kind of hobby animals,” she said at the time. “They don’t add value to (Johnson’s) operation in any way. I don’t think any farmer really can afford to have big animals like that as pets.”

Since then, Buck and Ike have become much more than pets to the people of Swanzey.

“The town kind of adopted them,” Selectman Bruce L. Tatro said.

Buck and Ike have appeared everywhere, from YouTube videos to “The Old Homestead” play, and will serve as subjects for a new Swanzey town sign. They’ve marched in the Monadnock Humane Society’s annual Walk for Animals, Monadnock Regional High School’s homecoming parade and a parade celebrating when part of Johnson’s family farm was put under conservation easement last fall.

“As ambassadors of open space protection, I think they brought awareness to the town,” Thieme said.

They also inspired the ice cream flavor Buck and Ike Delight at the Twinkletown Miniature Golf & Batting Cages in Swanzey and host annual birthday parties, where they’ve “given” local children small plush versions of themselves.

“We know of many children who can’t go to bed at night unless their Buck or their Ike is tucked in with them,” Barlow said.

In a letter to The Sentinel in 2007, Swanzey Town Planner Sara H. Carbonneau explained why such a fuss was being made about two figures who aren’t rock stars or politicians.

“(M)aybe it’s because amidst of all the silly stuff there is a message that comes through,” she wrote. “Buck and Ike are solid. Buck and Ike represent hard work and a simpler time and place. They remind us of Swanzey’s agricultural and industrial heritage.”

Selectman Nancy L. Carlson said she tries to catch a glimpse of the oxen every time she passes the field where they graze.

“It’s just been a central focus for the community,” she said. “It didn’t matter what age you were, you became a Buck and Ike fan.”

But perhaps no one is closer to Buck than Ike.

While Barlow’s 2-year-old working steers Star and Bright are already in line to yoke up for “The Old Homestead” play, Barlow said the search is on to find Ike a new partner-in-crime.

“What Ike needs is somebody to travel around with,” she said.

Whoever this ox is, he’ll have big shoes to fill.

- Donations in Buck’s name for the new “Welcome to Swanzey” sign can be dropped off at the Swanzey Town Hall.

Anika Clark can be reached at 352-1234, extension 1432, or e-mail [email protected].

maybe I don't get, but I don't know why you'd have to put down one Ox because the other died? I've never owned one, so maybe someone who has can fill me in??

I can understand animals greiving, I just lost a parrot and her mate is still greiving and calling nonstop for her.

Quote:
I am not quite sure...either...but I believe it has something to do with the grieving and well being of the other unless a replacement companion is found. I also believe it may have something to do with them being a 'working' team...with yolk etc?? But honestly...I'm not sure why they put them both down...and this is the whole reason we are searching for a replacement companion for the healthy living ox.
We just really love these gentle oxen here...and cannot bear to see one grieving and the other suffering.

I am told....HAVE OXEN...will travel to come get...anywhere on the Eastern Hemisphere of the US!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom