Oxine AH?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hvl25, Jul 9, 2011.

1. hvl25

hvl25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I am reading something about having to use citric acid with this to activate it? Is that necessary? I am using it for respiratory illness.

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I've never used Oxine, but came across a post this morning that contained this link to information on its use. http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm I see nothing in this information that says you need to use citric acid with it. If someone thinks otherwise I'm sure they will let us know.

3. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    I use it without it being activated. I use it in the whole barn , including cleaning the chicken coops, horses and goats stalls. I strip them spray with Oxine Ah and love it....spread the clean shavings on top.
    Keeps everything clean and smelling good! Wroth every penny![​IMG] I purchase it from Revival pet supply. Last time I checked they had the best price.

4. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I have read that if you use it with the CA activator you need a special respirator and not to use it on the animals activated.

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:The labeled uses for this product are only for disinfecting livestock facilities, eggs, and water. There are no approved uses for treating livestock.

It is a stabilized solution of chlorine dioxide, but only after acidifying the stock solution. The stock solution is 2% sodium chlorite, the chlorine dioxide is only produced after acidifying the sodium chlorite.

The sodium chlorite itself is commonly used in hygiene products such as toothpaste, mouthwash, and eye drops and is generally non-toxic, but the disinfecting efficacy of this product comes from generating chlorine dioxide.

6. hvl25

hvl25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Thanks everyone. I remembered that link also and read it. I ordered it from Amazon, it was 24.99 for a gallon. I am going to clean out the coop as soon as I get it. and I read you can put a tiny amount in the waterers and it keeps the slime down too.

7. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Quote:The labeled uses for this product are only for disinfecting livestock facilities, eggs, and water. There are no approved uses for treating livestock.

It is a stabilized solution of chlorine dioxide, but only after acidifying the stock solution. The stock solution is 2% sodium chlorite, the chlorine dioxide is only produced after acidifying the sodium chlorite.

The sodium chlorite itself is commonly used in hygiene products such as toothpaste, mouthwash, and eye drops and is generally non-toxic, but the disinfecting efficacy of this product comes from generating chlorine dioxide.

Yes. I use it to just clean the stalls. I have not used it in the water, yet. Really makes a difference in the barn. Thanks for the info.

8. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I have some but not used it yet but will on the next coop cleaning. Several people i know use it all the time for their chickens....they tell me when sprayed in the coop until walls and floor are wet then allow to dry before letting the chickens back in.
    If activated it has a much shorter life span ,so once mixed with the activator use within a few days. They only activate it when they are spraying in the coop, not on the chickens. When spraying on the chickens they do not use the activator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by